Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2016 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a 2016 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited, and have owned it since new. I didn't do a lot of riding last year, and don't "tour" with it like I thought I would. I am 55, and have noticed my knees and ankles don't have the strength they used to. On thought is to trade for a smaller bike. I really like the Heritage Classic, and found this bike at our local dealership:

I like the color, it looks brand new (I haven't looked at it in person yet), and it would fit my riding style better - more of an "Around Town/Commuter" bike but one I could also ride with my wife.

My Ultra Limited has around 10,500 miles, and is in brand new condition (no mods other than cosmetic additions (all H-D OEM). Kelly Blue Book puts it at $19,500 trade-in and almost $24,000 retail. Do dealerships do even trades (if I added some "extra" to the Heritage Classic - backrest, luggage rack, ABS brake service flush/fill, etc.? I love riding, but don't get out as much as I used to. We also have a 1/2 mile dirt/gravel township road leading to our house since moving a year ago. Is the Heritage Classic a bike that has a good track record?

Thank You for your thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc. I know a lot of it is personal preference/choice. I have always thought the Heritage Classic would be my next bike anyway.

Thanks,

David

· Road Junkie
2,229 Posts
To answer the questions asked:

1) You should expect trade-in values to decline rather quickly through 2023 - like a 20-30% decline on some models. The reason is two-fold: a) demand for used bikes has softened due to inflation and over-supply of used motorcycles; and b) the 2023 model release makes the existing inventory a year older. Dealers are looking for a 15-20% return on used motorcycles, so they are putting pressure (to reduce) the trade-in values in the event they need to wholesale/auction the bike to manage their inventory turnover. It may take another month or two to really see the difference, but industry insiders acknowledge it's coming (a friend of mine is a buyer for RumbleOn, a motorcycle wholesaler).

2) The Heritage Softail has long had a good track record from a performance and value perspective. The redesigned Heritage Softail (2018 and later) has been very well received. It should make a great 1-2 day trip bike, especially if riding solo.

As an alternative, you could install a quick-release TourPak kit ($650) on your Ultra Limited. You will be amazed at how much different the bike handles with that 50 lbs off the back!

Good luck with your decision.

Reactions: JLR

· Registered
13,370 Posts
I had a 2016 RGU. From day 1 I hated how top heavy it was, otherwise, it was a fine bike and I loved it. The weight of the TourPak is one thing--but the fact that that weight is so high is what makes the bike overall so top heavy. I previously had a 2013 RGC without a TourPak and it wasn't near as top heavy even thought the actual weight difference between the 2013 without TourPak and the 2016 with TourPak wasn't that much. But in Feb., 2021, I bought another bike (Indian Challenger) and I put my RGU up for sale on both Craigslist and FB Marketplace. Took 3 months to sell and I got $16,800 for it and it had Stage 1, enhanced stereo, better windshield & grips, extra Custom Dynamic lighting, better horn, better rear shocks and a few other minor mods I can't think of right now. That was almost 2 years ago. I think the info you got about $19,500 on trade in is way high.

· Old Skool
911 Posts
Their going to want Several Thousand Dollars from you for the Trade. You may be better off Selling your Bike and searching for a replacement, you'll realize more Value than Trading it in. Check Motorcycle Trader to see what their selling for.

· Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The values I found were from Kelly Blue Book, but I realize that doesn't mean that is what I would actually get. Thank You everyone for your help- I appreciate it!

· Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts