Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,744 Posts
Here's my "opinion". It's probably overpriced.

Maybe for your area it's not, so your mileage may vary.

Check KBB.com and NADA and see what the trade in and retail prices are.

Get on craigslist, cycletrader and all the local bike shops within 100 miles and start doing some comparison shopping. I did this last year and saved myself thou$ands.

(For instance, I pulled up "ultra" on my local craigslist and the first ad is for an '07 with 43k miles for $9k and an '05 with 30k for $8k)

You are getting close to spring and there will be an artificial bump in process, but the deals are out there. Don't be afraid to play hard ball and pit these dealers against each other. It's your money, spend it wisely.

·
Registered
614 Posts
If you can swing it try for 09 or better being that there is a whole bunch of upgrades including the new frame, brakes, wheels, larger engine and much more. Maybe try private sellers over dealer for better pricing. Being that that bike is 10 yrs old the milage is ok just have to watch out to the cam tensioners as previously stated but I would try to get for under 9K. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
614 Posts
P.S. it doesnt appear to be a Harley dealer so just be carefull being they may not stand behind your purchase and not have the resources if something goes wrong right away. At least buying used from a Harley dealer will give you 30 days waranty and maybe opertunity for extended waranty.

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Seems to be a little high for around here anyway.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I haven't seen the bike in person. Just on the website. I'm gonna go check it out in person this weekend. It's supposed to be -17 degrees here tonight, so I don't think it's going anywhere. Price actually seems low for this area. Local dealer has a 2004 with 24,000 miles for $12,999, and a 2007 with 54,000 miles for $13,500. $9499 seemed low to me.

·
Super Moderator
12,744 Posts
Fly and Ride :D

Check dealers in Texas. Some will even pick you up and the airport and get you a room for the night. Ride it home.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,486 Posts
Seems a tad on the high side for an '05, and as Web said, beware the cam tensioners. I'd want a look at them before I spent any bucks on the bike with that much mileage. Shop around on the price. Roy's advice is spot on for finding the better deals.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Ask the dealer to have a tech pull the plugs and look at them. If they are black and/or oily, take a pass. In 2005, MoCo went to a valve with a small diameter stem. A lot of the early ones had faulty seals, and those bike can burn .5 - 1 quart of oil between changes, I had a 2005 Classic, it used a quart every time between changes and I had to remove and clean or change the rear plug fairly often. The front cylinder was fine.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Condition, condition, condition, are tires new, how old is battery, has cam tensioner been changed or at least checked. Does everything work, cruise control, radio, all the gages. Is bike a one owner, does it show any signs of being dropped. $9500 is a little on the high side this time of year, but the dealer might be assuming there is a trade in. If the bike checks out to be super nice I would try for $8500 tax, title, and plates included.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All good points and things to check out. Biggest problem is that it's at a Honda, Yamaha dealership, and it's probably a trade-in so they'll have no history on it. I'll see what they say when I go look at it.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
In the fall of 2012 I traded my 04 Electra Glide Classic in on a 09 EGC. The bike I traded in had a brand new 97" S&S kit with new cams, tuner, gaskets and everything. It had 16,000 miles total on the bike. The trade in got me $9500. That was on a 8 year old bike.

Just letting you know what some bikes go for in other places.
Around here, I might offer them about 8K max.

·
Registered
614 Posts
If its well taken care of and you see it and fall in love with it then give them your best number, remember that's the asking price. No reason why you can't chew them down some. Its still a nice bike and you will still get miles of smiles out of it. If you are somewhat mechanically able to do routine maintenance and take care of it you should be OK. This time of year I don't see them not wanting to deal with you.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Kelly blue book retail is $13,375..........so seems like a decent deal to me. I would spend a few grand more and find an 09 or newer, the difference is way worth the extra cash.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Checked out the bike Saturday. Definitely what you call a "15 footer". Up close, the bike was pretty ragged looking. Not taken care of at all. Dealer says he took it in on trade, and knows nothing about it, other than it seems to run OK. Everything works, but if the previous owner took care of maintenance like he took care of the cosmetics on the bike, I want no part of it. Guy I talked to was a typical metric bike salesman, he knew nothing about Harleys, and had no clue when I asked him about any cam shoe replacement. He has no idea what I was talking about (where do they get these guys?) and wouldn't give me the name of the guy who traded it in. Also said "no" when I told him it probably needed some engine work, or at the very least checked, and would he take some money off for that? Asked about any kind of warranty, and he said the bike was sold "As is". After looking at the whole bike, I think the previous owner knew it was time for the cam shoe work, and just traded it in. I'm gonna pass on this one.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
What kind of guy would trade a harley for a Honda?
I was looking at nada for my 04 flhtci and its between 7500-9400 retail. It pays to research the web before buying.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I bought my current bike from a Yamaha, Honda dealer. It was a trade in. Some guy used it as a trade on a couple of 4 wheel ATV's. My bike was 2 years old with 4,000 miles on it.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
What kind of guy would trade a harley for a Honda?
I was looking at nada for my 04 flhtci and its between 7500-9400 retail. It pays to research the web before buying.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I would, if they gave me a brand new Goldwing for my '05 Heritage. :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Bought my 06 Ultra for $7200 with 30000 miles. Looked for a couple of months before I found this deal. They are out there. Hope you find a good one. :biking:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts