Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are all tb cleaners pretty much equal, or is there any particular one to use or stay away from? My 06 RK is getting a little dirty. Any advice and/or opinions will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Are all tb cleaners pretty much equal, or is there any particular one to use or stay away from? My 06 RK is getting a little dirty. Any advice and/or opinions will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I use the store brand carb cleaner. O'Rielly AutoZone ...usually have the better sales on them , pick up a case at a time on sale .

·
Wayward Son
23,048 Posts
Webco is cheap. :D
Seafoam or Lucas.

·
Wayward Son
23,048 Posts
They say if you die with a penny in your pocket you died broke.
I call it good financial planning.

·
Retired citizen
22,065 Posts
I use 1st Ayd brake clean, easy on plastics and rubber parts but cleans oil, varnish and soot well.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Am I right in assuming that we need to stick with throttle body cleaner here? Long time ago on autos you could get by with starting fluid but then the staring fluid ruined one of the sensors in the throttle body. Anybody remember this or did I dreamt? So throttle body cleaner only right? Thanks

·
Wayward Son
23,048 Posts
Am sort of confused. Are we talking internally or externally?

·
Wayward Son
23,048 Posts
Thanks.
Stand by my suggestions of Seafoam or Lucas.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,315 Posts
In the old days we would slowly pour a coke bottle of water through the carb while the motor was being goosed. . . . . Or was it coca cola? I forget

·
Banned
71 Posts
In the old days we would slowly pour a coke bottle of water through the carb while the motor was being goosed. . . . . Or was it coca cola? I forget
Anything cold would flake off the carbon. ATF was used so that it would help to flush the carbon pieces out and not scar the cylinder walls and rings .

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,315 Posts
Anything cold would flake off the carbon. ATF was used so that it would help to flush the carbon pieces out and not scar the cylinder walls and rings .
And if you didn't know the white smoke was coming, it could be somewhat disconcerting. :wink

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,048 Posts
Y'all are talking about two different things. That being cleaning the throttle body (the original question), and decarbonizing the combustion chamber. Need to be very careful with the latter, especially on a smaller engine you care a lot about, i.e. your Harley motor. Probably not necessary on a F.I. engine. Seafoam or other good fuel additive should take care of that. A gunky throttle body needs to have the throat walls ( or venturi ) and throttle plate hand cleaned using a good solvent such as carb cleaner and a small, stiff bristle brush. The cheap stuff is fine, IMHO, although I certainly defer to Schmidtys' opinion and recommendations in all thing Harley.

--

·
Wayward Son
23,048 Posts
If caught in time, done regularly, would`t a good fuel additive avoid the need for a more physical and involved cleaning?

FI is the thing now. Doubt I will ever own an FI bike. But still trying to learn.

·
Banned
71 Posts
If caught in time, done regularly, would`t a good fuel additive avoid the need for a more physical and involved cleaning?

FI is the thing now. Doubt I will ever own an FI bike. But still trying to learn.
The oil mist coats the walls and body.......... collects dust and things........... need to clean it off every now and then . :smile

1 - 20 of 28 Posts