Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,048 Posts
Carburetors have a "throttle body," too. It's just integrated into the housing assembly where the "butterfly" opens and closes. This part is commonly thought of as the "barrel." Ex., single barrel, two-barrel, four-barrel. Deposits accumulate there, too, but are generally cleaned out during a carb overhaul/rebuild process. In either case, carb or F.I., if the deposits coating the walls of the air passages build up thick enough, they can affect the air flow and alter the idle quality. The air/fuel ratio is predicated on a clean passage with no build-up, since that would be a variable that the manufacturer could not forecast. In the real world, a little build-up is to be expected and may not have much effect, but it's something that should be monitored and remediated on a regular basis to maintain top performance, especially at idle.

Fuel injection and carburetors do the same thing -- mix fuel and air in a combustible ratio that matches the engines appetite. F.I. is generally thought to be capable of doing a more precise job of this, but a well-engineered and meticulously tuned carburetor can certainly provide very efficient starting and running performance as well. Especially in smaller engines. And since we all agree Harleys have a soul, some feel that having a carburetor enhances that soul. As a result of my background, I'm just more comfortable around F.I. Seems that jetting a carb is more art and tuning F.I. is more science. Lots of respect for both.

--

·
Wayward Son
23,048 Posts
Ok. So back OT.
Looks like Old Coot is looking at a dis-assembly and cleaning.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,048 Posts
F.I. would be more like removal and cleaning, with minimal disassembly, if any. Sometimes the T/B can be cleaned in place, depending on access.

(Never thought we got off topic. Just expanded our discussion a bit. :) )

--

·
Wayward Son
23,048 Posts
(Never thought we got off topic. Just expanded our discussion a bit. :) )

--
Agreed.
But just felt Old Coot`s original question was getting a bit lost in my search for understanding.

Thanks Silverback. :thumb

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Really no need to remove anything other than the air cleaner . Spray it all out with cleaner, catch the drippings with a rag , done . :thumb
That's what I had in mind. Just like my Mustangs. I just didn't know if there is any reason a HD would be any different. Seems like I used CRC tbc on them the last time and probably have some left. I appreciate every bodies input.

·
Banned
71 Posts
That's what I had in mind. Just like my Mustangs. I just didn't know if there is any reason a HD would be any different. Seems like I used CRC tbc on them the last time and probably have some left. I appreciate every bodies input.
CRC brand is on sale at AutoZone every now and then...that's when I pick up a case of it, I use it for most everything that needs cleaning . :grin

·
Gunny
37 Posts
For an injector cleaner that mixes in the tank, BG 44K. I have used it in carb vehicles too. I use a full can in the car and truck. For the Harley I use 1/2 can. In all cases, top off at half a tank and then run to near empty.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts