Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Wayward Son
23,048 Posts
Looking at the gap and hearing your symptoms.
Believe you have a wire or two pinched in the grip harness area.

Curious why the lithium bath too. Over kill IMO.

·
Killer of Souls
10,862 Posts
Throttle tube pushed too tight to bar end... dragging

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
King
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks guys. After a minute i had lights, starter, and ultimately fired back to life. Let it idle a minute and revved it, all seems well. And the grease makes the throttle snap quick. Ill report back tomorrow after my commute to work!

·
Wayward Son
23,048 Posts
If you did not at least wipe off the excess you are asking for trouble in things "gunking" up at some point in time.
Do`t kill your bike with kindness.

But that`s just me..... :dunno

The MoCo has been building bikes for a very long time. They have a reason for printing what is in the Shop Manual and why it is what HD trained Mechanics go by as well.

·
Wayward Son
23,048 Posts
Did you still lube the cables internally?
How about the clutch cable?

·
King
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Haha i guess all is not well. Remember last night i got the bike running after that weird elecrical pop? This cool morning i went out, turned ignition on, i had headlights and dash, pulled enricher and hit the starter, i hear a click (starter solenoid?) And no crank, immediately lights out. No dash, no headlamp, nothing. Turned key off. Turned key back on, still no lights.
Last night i hooked the bike to my trickle maintainet, and within 30 seconds it indicated FULL BATTERY. I know battery is goid. In fact, everything is good, something just got boogered up yesterday and i need help. It cant be a fuse, because it wouldnt stop working and then start working and stop again. What should i be looking at? Can lithium grease short out electrical connectors? I thought it was insulative but i could be wrong. I really need this bike running so i can clean her up today

·
Wayward Son
23,048 Posts
.....Can lithium grease short out electrical connectors? I thought it was insulative....
Think you are confusing lithium grease with dielectric grease.
Is it conductive? :dunno
Never thought about it as I never even thought of using it on electrical connections.

Dielectric grease is conductive. It is why it can be used on electrical connections.
Great for preventing corrosion, electrolysis. The corroding of the connections when a current is passed through two dissimilar metals and there is a potential for moisture being introduced.
As long as it is used sparingly and does not cause a bridge between another connection.

·
Wayward Son
23,048 Posts
First I would clean up any lithium grease in/on any electrical connections.
Not sure just what you will use to do it though.

Then refer to the first paragraph of post #21 in this thread.

·
King
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Ill use some rags, maybe a little compressed air (light trigger squeezes), and inspect the wires. If it works intermittwntly, it cant be a fuse because it wouldnt work at all. Battery is known good, and starter i presume. It must be a switch in the grip, most likely the kill switch as no lights come on.

·
Wayward Son
23,048 Posts
Ill use some rags, maybe a little compressed air (light trigger squeezes), and inspect the wires. If it works intermittwntly, it cant be a fuse because it wouldnt work at all. Battery is known good, and starter i presume. It must be a switch in the grip, most likely the kill switch as no lights come on.
How. Because your trickle charger says so? :nah

You need to track down the source of the "POP" that happened last night.
What ever it was. The problem is obviously still there as it killed your battery over night.
And seems to be continuing to drain it.

·
King
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I left the charger on the bike all night out of laziness. It is an auto charger so no worries. It was full within a minute, green light, and this morning the light was still green. The battery couldnt have been dead. I believe there may be a fuse that blew this morning as a result of me trying to start it. When it made that pop it sounded like it came from in front and below of me, near the front cylinder. It still confuses me cuz a minute after the bike acted 100% normal, started up and ran and idled and revved like nothing ever happened. Whatever popped didnt affect the engine running, but i still need to figure this out

·
Wayward Son
23,048 Posts
Check your manual for "Relays" within the whole harness.
They can trip and reset,

Again.... Just because a battery charger shows a full charge. It does not mean the battery will hold/deliver that charge when the demand is needed to start the bike.
If after you get the grease cleaned up, find the cause of the pop.
Likely either a short caused by the grease or a pinched wire.
Should it still not start, only click, the battery may need pulled and load tested.

·
King
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Ok listen carefully i remember something. When you sit on bike and turn key ON, the dashlights and headlight come on regardless of whether or not the killswitch is in the OFF or RUN position correct? Because when i got on this morning i keyed on initially and had no lights, but hit the killswitch to RUN then had lights, then hit the starter and the relay/solenoid clicked once and everything blacked out again. I believe the killswitch doesnt affect headlight and dash power but my memory could be wrong

·
Killer of Souls
10,862 Posts
OKay, it may have been said somewhere, but what year and model bike are you working on?

21 - 40 of 53 Posts