Harley Davidson Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Killer of Souls
10,862 Posts
Page 7-61 of your manual explains circuit breakers..

Page 7-10 gives you the ignition system circuit.

Page 7-2 tells you where electrical components are installed.

·
Wayward Son
23,048 Posts
Thanks Link.
He`s all yours. :D

·
Killer of Souls
10,862 Posts

·
King
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Ok so take off the seat and inspect the fuses, and relays. But if the relay reset how would i know? And ive never heard of a resetting relay, what does that even mean?

·
King
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Yeah i get home from work, the bikes been in the drive for 6 hours collecting sun since I left it this morning. Before i touched anything, checked fuses, anything, i hit the key. BAM!!! Motor springs to life!! Nothing out of the ordinary. Literally in the exact same spot i left it, didnt move it an inch, didnt turn the handlebars, didnt lift the seat up to check fuses, didnt charge battery. Full 100% functionality

·
King
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
OK GUYS PROBLEM SOLVED

Listen up. After 2 hours of sanding and attempting to refinish the oxidized aluminum surfaces (came out okay, by the way, still not perfect though) I went to kick the bike over to drive over to the car wash and sure enough experienced the same sequence of issues. Lights, hit starter, click, no lights. I started tearing down the bike in search of fuses. I suppose this bike doesn't have a fuse block like I'm used to seeing???? But I did notice a critical error. The positive cable was loose on the battery. I grabbed the cable and pushed it against the terminal with my fingers and hit the key. Sure enough, full strength of the battery to the starter. I went to work with blue threadlocker and wrenches to jam that shit back together. The negative seemed tight still, so I didn't bother breaking that loose to apply blue threadlocker. By the way, be careful to not let your wrenches touch the frame of the bike when you are wrenching on the positive battery cable. You will see fireworks.

After 15 minutes of reassembly I headed over to the car wash to treat the bike to a liberating rinse. The bike spent 4 years collecting dust and cobwebs, and oil crud on the frame. Rolled out looking really really nice, actually got a compliment at the sandwich shop. Spent a good portion of the evening driving around to be sure the bike was fine, after 25 miles I figured the electrical issues were solved and put her away for the night.

·
Frozen Member
2,314 Posts
After all that it wouldnt surprise me if you have some new ongoing issues here & there but now you know to look for old loose or corroded connections.

And BTW, a relay always "resets" itself, unless its fried. Its a switch, normally held in one open or closed position by spring pressure, with an electromagnet operated by a low amperage control circuit which opens or closes (usually but not always) a higher amperage set of contacts for a secondary circuit, basically just like a set of old style ignition points. Thus the term "relay". Sometimes the higher amperage side will arc & spark and weld itself closed so its no longer under control of the electromagnet.

How do relays work? - Explain that Stuff!

·
King
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
After all that it wouldnt surprise me if you have some new ongoing issues here & there but now you know to look for old loose or corroded connections.

And BTW, a relay always "resets" itself, unless its fried. Its a switch, normally held in one open or closed position by spring pressure, with an electromagnet operated by a low amperage control circuit which opens or closes (usually but not always) a higher amperage set of contacts for a secondary circuit, basically just like a set of old style ignition points. Thus the term "relay". Sometimes the higher amperage side will arc & spark and weld itself closed so its no longer under control of the electromagnet.

How do relays work? - Explain that Stuff!
Thanks. What do you mean new and ongoing issues? I buttoned everything up and all functioned as it was supposed to again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
OK GUYS PROBLEM SOLVED

Listen up. After 2 hours of sanding and attempting to refinish the oxidized aluminum surfaces (came out okay, by the way, still not perfect though) I went to kick the bike over to drive over to the car wash and sure enough experienced the same sequence of issues. Lights, hit starter, click, no lights. I started tearing down the bike in search of fuses. I suppose this bike doesn't have a fuse block like I'm used to seeing???? But I did notice a critical error. The positive cable was loose on the battery. I grabbed the cable and pushed it against the terminal with my fingers and hit the key. Sure enough, full strength of the battery to the starter. I went to work with blue threadlocker and wrenches to jam that shit back together. The negative seemed tight still, so I didn't bother breaking that loose to apply blue threadlocker. By the way, be careful to not let your wrenches touch the frame of the bike when you are wrenching on the positive battery cable. You will see fireworks.

After 15 minutes of reassembly I headed over to the car wash to treat the bike to a liberating rinse. The bike spent 4 years collecting dust and cobwebs, and oil crud on the frame. Rolled out looking really really nice, actually got a compliment at the sandwich shop. Spent a good portion of the evening driving around to be sure the bike was fine, after 25 miles I figured the electrical issues were solved and put her away for the night.
Old thread, but the way you are describing the issues I said to myself it sounds like a loose connection at the battery glad you got it going thank you for confirming that I'm still somewhat sharp LOL. By the way I've been a member on here for a while but had to rejoin I just could not get logged on for some reason reset password change password and this and that but had to start over

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

41 - 53 of 53 Posts