Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new to the forum and also a new rider. Bought an 06 883 sportster for my first bike. Had my grips switched out and apparently the installer didn't tension the upper and lower throttle correctly and the upper snapped while the lower had so much slack it created a snag in the cable! My question is how hard is it to change the whole cable? Had trouble looking for videos online. :biking:

·
Registered
556 Posts
It is not really too hard. Everything is easy to get to. Get the manual, take off the Air cleaner and its housing and you will see everything right there. The key to installing a new or any throttle cable is to make sure there is lots of slack in the cable to install the ball in the twist throttle. The tighten both cables a little at a time. They should both be just about even and you should have a little slack in both when you are done. Now, did the cable really snap or did he overtighten and and break the plastic at the throttle grip so it won't hold the little ball end of the cable. I've seen that happen before and the guy had to buy a new grip.

·
Retired citizen
23,371 Posts
Hardest part is getting the cables out of the housing, little wire clip rings retain them in the housing. Easiest way I've found is to squirt some lube into the housing on the cables then give them a quick snap out from the other side.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Hardest part is getting the cables out of the housing, little wire clip rings retain them in the housing. Easiest way I've found is to squirt some lube into the housing on the cables then give them a quick snap out from the other side.
That and a tiny flat blade to push the snap ring back in . :thumb

·
Retired citizen
23,371 Posts
I never had a problem getting them back in, just out !
I don't know why the MoCo changed the cable design, the old style were screw in and they weren't a problem.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I never had a problem getting them back in, just out !
I don't know why the MoCo changed the cable design, the old style were screw in and they weren't a problem.
If after you oil them up, you use a tiny flat blade to push the rings back into their groves, the cables will almost fall out of their holes . :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts