Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed and reinstalled my handlebars a long time ago, I remember having to fight with the cables and little end ferrules to get the throttle back together, but I must not have it right yet, because only today, many months later, did I notice that if I try to open the throttle full open, there is a point where there is a distinct obstructed movement, like the cables are pinched or I'm pushing something out of the way. It's not just stiffer, it's like I'm risking breaking something.

Can anybody save me some time and leg work figuring out what's wrong? If I have screwed this up, somebody else must have done so as well. Anybody recognize this symptom?

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
I can only think of the cable being out of track or possibly if you got the screw in throttle lock that aint together right.
How is it that you know where WOT is? just by engine sound?

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't say I really do know where WOT is, I just know when I try to go beyond a pretty sedate throttle opening, I reach a point where something is not right. I can't really believe I've never gone WFO in months, but maybe ....

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
Nathang, This is out in left field, but what abut the possibility of something like a piece of dirt in the glide. Or it's not seated properly,I'd go for the simple problem 1st.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
At the end of the day you are gonna have to take it all apart and put it back together again. But I would first just check that the obstruction is not in the fuel system rather than on the grip or cable by disconnecting the cable and operating each separately.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
As Pete said I think your going to have to take it apart anyway for peace of mind.

I think a new throttle cable and idle cable are like $17 each so I think it pays to just replace them. It could be pinched or not braced right on the motor end. I think if you got the throttle grip together and it works than its unlikely to be on that end. It could just need some cable lube as well.

·
Road Glide
348 Posts
You have to slacken the cables to get them out did you readjust them properly ?
Slacken the cables, tighten the foward cable the one that opens the throttle so that when the twist grip is at full on the butterfly is wide open in the carb or injection body. Then adjust the rear cable ( Idle ) so there is about 1/16 free play. This takes les than five minutes to do.

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
Make sure that the feurle is on the end of the cable.Its a little brass piece the goes over the ball end of the cable.Losen all your cable slack at the throttle take it apart again and check what i just mentioned.Make sure the cable end is in the proper alignment hole.Now assemlbe your throttle into the housing put a dab off white lube for easy twist tighten your controls back together and adjust your slack.all ways slack up your cable when taking the throttle apart and adjust after completion.hope this helps ya out.
Check for WOT with bike not running...lol I knew you knew that just threw it in for others.

·
Registered
39,577 Posts
Also, make sure you aren't adjusting the cables too tight. This will also sometimes cause the same symptoms you describe.

·
"Ain't quite right"™
11,241 Posts
Make sure that the feurle is on the end of the cable.Its a little brass piece the goes over the ball end of the cable.Losen all your cable slack at the throttle take it apart again and check what i just mentioned.Make sure the cable end is in the proper alignment hole.Now assemlbe your throttle into the housing put a dab off white lube for easy twist tighten your controls back together and adjust your slack.all ways slack up your cable when taking the throttle apart and adjust after completion.hope this helps ya out.
Check for WOT with bike not running...lol I knew you knew that just threw it in for others.
Damn, I shoulda read this last night first...live and learn :thumb

·
Banned
18,203 Posts
Nathan, I had this problem last year on my sporty, ended up being the ferrle had broke, and was catching on the inside of the throttle housing

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Proper method to throttle adjustment:

1.) Loosen and put slack in both the throttle (pull) and Idle (return) cables.

2.) Turn your handlebars all the way to the left. Keep them there.

3.) Adjust your throttle (pull) cable until the carb linkage arm bottoms out on the throttle stop, then back it off about 1/16". (a hair's width) At full throttle, you want a crack of daylight, but not contacting the throttle stop.

Failure to adjust the throttle cable first can result in a bike who's throttle is not capable of providint WOT response.

4.) Then, adjust the Idle (return) cable until there's about a 1/4" slack in the throttle grip, by adjusting the idle cable. (back and forth movement of the throttle tube)

5.) Start bike and move handlebars back and forth, making sure idle remains the same, and the natural movement of the throttle cables isn't pulling on anything, causing the RPMs to rise. Move bars to both left and right.

If a cable is improperly adjusted (too tight) by turning the bars can be enough to pull on the throttle cable housing, pulling it out of the stop-seat, and causing an uncontrolled throttle acceleration/response.

http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Adjust-Harley-Davidson-Throttle-Cables-158086070

·
"Ain't quite right"™
11,241 Posts
I'm thinkin my sleeve is shorter than my previous grip, binding the throttle cables at the tree....gonna try sliding my bars to the left a hair to see if it remedies the problem....at lunch, bossman's bossman came out after break to ask me about some work stuff, while I was workin on my bike...

Coulda just told him, that I'm either workin on my bike, or wasting time on the forum until something breaks...but probably wouldn't have gone over well :lol8

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
02-04-09 to today,Nathang,Did You get Your throttle fixed yet???:lol8:lol8
It is good to get a refresher on throttle adjustments though.:thumb:nod

·
"Ain't quite right"™
11,241 Posts
Guess that's my bad, resurrecting an old thread with similar issues to what I have today.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Guess that's my bad, resurrecting an old thread with similar issues to what I have today.
NOPE,that is not a bad thing to use the search function to find a fix for a problem,Maby it is My bad for making humor for You doing so.:eek7

·
"Ain't quite right"™
11,241 Posts
No big deal, I'm not a sensitive litte bitch about internet things. :thumb

·
"Ain't quite right"™
11,241 Posts
Appears to have been a combination of throttle cables OOC, along with just an overall tighter fit with a metal sleeve, vs the plastic PoS I had before....

Adjusted the throttle, and lubed up the housing, doesn't stick as bad, just hangs a bit going back to zero throttle

....now to get the rubber grip to stop slippin...I'm thinkin 3M adhesive glue....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts