Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My throttle sticks in all positions, was working fine. What is the correct lube for the cables?

·
Registered
40,782 Posts
An '09 Nightster shouldn't have a sticky throttle already due to dry cables....

Double check that the cables didn't get kinked somehow and that the throttle tension screw isn't too tight.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i loosened it all the way. (star adjuster). I just added some light oil to the cables and it is better but not perfect.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
Got to be under warranty, take it back.

·
Registered
40,782 Posts
i loosened it all the way. (star adjuster). I just added some light oil to the cables and it is better but not perfect.
If the routing is ok (not kinked), then the oil might just need to get worked down the length of the cable. Just work the throttle a bit to get the oil worked down the cable.

Has it always been this way or is it something that has been getting worse since you got it?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the bike sat for 3 days and started instantly.It actually caused me to lay it over on gravel yesterday. not a pretty sight, thank God no one saw me. :(

·
Registered
40,782 Posts
Something doesn't sound right. If it was just something that needed lubed, it doesn't just all of a sudden go bad like that. Take Nate's suggestion and take it in and have it checked out.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Yes it could be a multi bike defect, you could be saving lives the sooner you get in to have the dealer look at it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I assume by your comments the problem started after it was dropped. If so I will bet you dropped it on the right side.

When it touched the ground the throttle assembly was pushed in on the bar and now the grip is rubbing on the end of the bar causing it to stick on.

Loosen the screws on the throttle assembly and slide it outwards on the bar a couple of Millimeters to bring back the clearance and it will work normal again.

John R

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the bike sat for 3 days and started instantly.It actually caused me to lay it over on gravel yesterday. not a pretty sight, thank God no one saw me. :(
it started 2 days before i dropped it. It sticking is what caused me to lose control on the gravel and dropping it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well my pipes got a few scrapes on the bottom, and hadle grip was slightly torn. I filled my cables with oil and went for a ride for about 90 miles and my throttle works better than new, super smooth. Cables must have just been dry and dirty, after all it is very dusty and windy here in central Ks.

·
Upright Downunder
48 Posts
Curious

How do you fill the cables with oil...I dont have a problem, and have never had any with the Nightster throttle... mine appear to be completely sealed at both ends....as I said I dont have any current probs...just curious..how would you get the oil in there ?

Wayne

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I took the cover off carefully dripped 3n1 oil down them while working them back and forth.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts