Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
COB
1,984 Posts
I am not a FL guy but Thunder Headers consistently put out the best horsepower. They are undoubtably ugly however.

·
Registered
40,766 Posts
I have them on my bike, and they work well for me after tuning the exhaust to work with the rest of my engine...

I guess I would ask you what your priorities are for your exhaust.... Looks? Performance (and at what RPM). Stock motor or modified?

For a 2:1 exhaust on a touring bike, I would recommend an exhaust with longer primary tubes to develop the power lower in the RPM band. Shorter primary tubes develop power higher in the RPM band.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've heard many times that the thunderheders are ugly,dont know the reason but heard that they blue at the end.Is ths the reason they are condsidered ugly?I was looking into them myself for my 08 rkc but shye away when i heard that they get blue.

·
Registered
40,766 Posts
I've heard many times that the thunderheders are ugly,dont know the reason but heard that they blue at the end.Is ths the reason they are condsidered ugly?I was looking into them myself for my 08 rkc but shye away when i heard that they get blue.

Mine haven't turned blue yet. :D

But I have seen a lot of blued chrome T-Headers.

·
Registered
40,766 Posts
i want something that sounds good loud is ok.. looks good.. i have a stock motor ...
Sounds and looks are subjective. In stock form thunderheaders are loud. I have quieted mine down and gained hp and tq in the process. I love the way mine sounds, but cams and other engine work all play a part in the way a bike sounds.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Sounds and looks are subjective. In stock form thunderheaders are loud. I have quieted mine down and gained hp and tq in the process. I love the way mine sounds, but cams and other engine work all play a part in the way a bike sounds.
You black one looks pretty good. I don't know of anyone that thinks the chrome ones are attractive.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've never seen the thnderheader slipons in persn only in pics.what is it that makes them so ugly to everyone?

·
Registered
40,766 Posts
We can't really tell you what to go with, but we can offer some suggestions for you to investigate and see if you like them.

Here is a D&D Fatcat on a SE RK.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
so what should i go with ??
Dude, no one can tell you what to go with, that is your choice. All we can do is give you some info to help you make your own decision.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thats what iam asking for is info on good sounding pipes .. should i do true dual or slip ons etc. whats the best for the money ???

·
Registered
40,766 Posts
I would suggest slip ons. They would be both cheaper than a full exhaust, and by retaining the stock crossover, would help build power in the midrange.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
40,766 Posts
Thank you. :D

I think the way it is now, is the way it should have come from the factory.

I think the NightTrain is like what Mike (I believe it was) said about the Fat Bob. It's a good starting platform to make it the way you like, 'course I guess you could say the same thing about all Harleys.... and thats all part of the fun of it. :D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts