Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1998 Anniversary Fatboy (EVO) has a Thunderheader 2-1 and I was wondering if CA considers this a competition part of part designed to bypass O2 sensors?

·
Registered
39,545 Posts
Thunderheader makes 2 versions (atleast they used to) 1 for carb bikes, 1 for EFI bikes.....

They may have changed to only making EFI version, and have people just plug the O2 port when using on a carb bike.

·
weird member
2,288 Posts
My 1998 Anniversary Fatboy (EVO) has a Thunderheader 2-1 and I was wondering if CA considers this a competition part of part designed to bypass O2 sensors?
Does any carb'ed model ever have O₂ sensors? Legitimate question, because I have never heard of that before. Maybe a dumb question, but I can't see why a carb'ed bike would have one either because the only thing I know they're used for, is for the ECM/computer to make adjustments to the fuel richness in the fuel injection system.

That being said, I do know that at one point, and probably still today, your carburetor does have to be compliant... they have "California Emissions" versions of bikes and kits to convert. One of the things is this re-burner thing or something that captures evaporating gas and prevents it from escaping the carburetor? I can't quite remember because I never dealt with it before.

With a carb, I imagine the only exhaust issue you might have is maybe a catalytic converter or lack thereof?

Unfortunately, I am not well-versed in California's laws. But my guess is with a carburetor, you don't need O₂ sensors in your exhaust. There's probably a separate set of laws concerning those, with the end result being that the exhaust can't exceed certain levels of certain things.

This link might help, but I didn't read through it:
https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/motcycle/motcycle.htm

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,193 Posts
I thought at one time California considered ANY aftermarket part illegal, whatever its actual effect, if it had not been specifically blessed with a CARB approval, which I believe to be California Air Review Board, and that very few aftermarket parts manufacturers could afford to pay the exorbitant cost of testing, to try and get that approval.

I thought CARB approval amounted to a complete regulatory ban, because besides the fact that approval was almost impossible to get anyway, if a manufacturer made many very slightly different versions of the same product, Thunderheader for example, for each model & year bike, they would each have to undergo the expensive certification process.

I would be very surprised if the rules had become more lenient.

·
Registered
1 Posts
To the question. No, Thunderheaders are not legal in California. I’m talking about the complete pipes. You can use their slip ons because they are behind the catalytic converters. However, their complete pipe sets don’t have catalytic converters so they are illegal in California. However, if you buy a bike in California, you could go to Arizona or Nevada, change the pipes and come back. There are no annual or bi-annual smog checks for motorcycles, yet

·
American
26,996 Posts
I’m more concerned if motorcycle’s are legal in Kommiefornia?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts