Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first HD 883 2005.
I notice after the purchase of course.... that the lifters are fairly noisy and am wondering if this is a normal thing as I have heard it is. It should have hyd lifters if my research is correct so this has me some what concerned why they are ticking.
Just wondering if other owners also notice the same thing?

·
Registered
40,762 Posts
Your bike would have come stock with hydraulic lifters, and most likely still have the stock ones still in there. But, it is possible that the previous owner has put in an aftermarket cam as part of a possible 1200 conversion. Check if you have adjustable pushrods that are out of adjustment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your bike would have come stock with hydraulic lifters, and most likely still have the stock ones still in there. But, it is possible that the previous owner has put in an aftermarket cam as part of a possible 1200 conversion. Check if you have adjustable pushrods that are out of adjustment.
Thanks, new to this, how do I check to see if the push rods are adjustable? Thanks

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Undo the pushrod tube covers and look and see if they have l;ock nuts and adjusters, or are just solid rods.

Solid rods=no adjustment.

Luckt nuts and adjusters=adjustable.

Do you own a manual?

·
Registered
40,762 Posts
Theres a spring loaded retainer that keeps a clip (top half of the pushrod tube that looks like it has a handle on it) in place.

Theres a special tool for this, but if youre careful you can use a flat tip screw driver.

Push the retainer down and you can then remove the clip. Once the clip is removed you can collapse the pushrod tube and look at your pushrods.

Before you do this, let me ask you if you know anyone else that has a Harley. What you are hearing may be perfectly normal as there is only a thin metal tube surrounding the pushrods....

Hard for us to tell over the intarweb if what you are hearing is a problem.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
OK.....the silver compression thingy is understandable, but those cheap, none-HD clothes pins? Ugh......they're not even chrome. :D:D

·
Registered
40,762 Posts
I could make some chrome clothes pins, and use my sharpie to write HD on it...

But I would have to charge about a Hundred Dollars.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
I could make some chrome clothes pins, and use my sharpie to write HD on it...

But I would have to charge about a Hundred Dollars.
Shya.....HD....Hundred-Dollars!! :thumb

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many thanks for the tips!! : )

After doing some more research it turns out that the bike was built as a 883 but Harley converted it to a 1200 at the factory for the original owner. Which was actually a whole other problem I was having (883 or 1200) but maybe it also has something to do with it being mechanically noisy.
I'm coming off a old Honda Shadow which sounded similar to a sewing machine, lol, so I think it may just be that I'm not use the raw sound of a Harley engine, the only time I heard them before is when they are blowing by me on the freeway!!! Ha, now its my turn to be doing just that!!

I will have to do some more checking around and listen to some other bikes but after talking to a Harley mech and a couple other guys it sounds like they are just simply noisy engines. Seeing it runs very very strong and doesn't show and smoke or use any oil (which is crystal clean) I guess its solid and besides the Screaming Eagle pipes scream over the engine noise when I crack the throttle giving me even more reasons to open her up!!! _uck ya!!
God dam it sounds sweet when I crack it!!!

Thanks again, especially for taking the time to post the pics. ; )

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
After doing some more research it turns out that the bike was built as a 883 but Harley converted it to a 1200 at the factory for the original owner.
Not to burst your bubble, but that never happened.

If it was an 883, then the DEALERSHIP may have converted it for the owner for a price, but not the "Factory". Conversion kits aren't that expensive and make a big difference in HPs and performance.:thumb

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not to burst your bubble, but that never happened.

If it was an 883, then the DEALERSHIP may have converted it for the owner for a price, but not the "Factory". Conversion kits aren't that expensive and make a big difference in HPs and performance.:thumb
Ya I think I may have misunderstood the Harley dealer/factory deal. I have found out where to get the correct info on the bike and will be calling them this afternoon to make sure I'm not getting a pile of bs.
Thanks

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Dealers commonly installed, and still do, 883-1200 conversions. All the parts are usually HD or Screaming Eagle. Looks just like factory.....:thumb

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Brace , I also came off a Honda , an 1100 Honda shadow, ran great , rode it for 8 years without a problem , I bought my first Harley last Aug, a 2011 Electra Glide Classic. I love it . but i hear the lifters ticking, i have a little over 5k on it now , brought it back twice for reg maint and a recall. I asked about the noise, and the mechanic asked me if this was my first harley, i said yes and he told me thats the way they are. they're a little clunky and noisy. Hoping that true, lol .

I also Hate that freekin loud crack sound when u go from neut, to first from a stand still.
Dam it sounds like somethings gonna break lol
This bike scares me some times , but i love the ride .
Can anyone explain this ? , Do they all do that .
Hey ! Good Luck with your bike too.

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
Brace, if your pushrod tubes are one smooth piece, there not adjustable. They won't have the hump in the middle. if you look at my garage pics on the left side of this post, theres a pic of my motor. it's also an 05. Does your tubes look like mine....if so there not adjusable.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I also Hate that freekin loud crack sound when u go from neut, to first from a stand still.
Dam it sounds like somethings gonna break lol
This bike scares me some times , but i love the ride .
Can anyone explain this ? , Do they all do that .
Hey ! Good Luck with your bike too.
Funny... I happen to love that solid clunk of a Harley transmission, at least I know when I'm in gear. :thumbsup

·
Registered
10 Posts
Funny... I happen to love that solid clunk of a Harley transmission, at least I know when I'm in gear. :thumbsup
So Don i guess this is normal then , and the slight ticking too. I guess its the lifters, then again. the exhaust is stock so im probably gonna hear the engine a little clearer. !

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,928 Posts
So Don i guess this is normal then , and the slight ticking too. I guess its the lifters, then again. the exhaust is stock so im probably gonna hear the engine a little clearer. !
Why do you think people have obnoxious exhausts. It isn't to look cool or anything
DUHHHHH:rollin:rollin:rollin

·
Registered
422 Posts
When I got my first Sportster (which had straight pipes on it) I can remember wondering the same thing about all the engine noise. My father in-law whose been building Harleys for 25 years took it for a ride and when he came back I asked him about the noise. He said it rides and sounds just about like his evo lowrider and that's they way they are supposed to sound. Of course I'm almost always chasing down some kind of squeak or something and I know what causes most of them now... just keep the brakes clean, lube the rubber mounts with silicone, and keep all the bolts tight and it shouldn't fall apart when you aren't expecting it to.

·
Señor Member
19,724 Posts
That's a rodge. Love the sound and the feel.

·
Poser
4,426 Posts
I reduced the first gear Clunk volume by half when I changed the fluid
to HD Formula + and did me a proper clutch adjustment, 'PER the SERVICE book'.

Only draw back to the Formula + Is most of the gear shifts up and down
are a bit too quiet...
I had ta learn to trust the tranny.

BTW the only sound I hear Is my exhaust note.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts