Harley Davidson Forums banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
weird member
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC)
3,455 Posts
Thanks Schmidty, I got the clutch sprocket loose but didn't remove it and I made a jamb bar out of hardwood, I have to hit the tool store to get a socket to remove the comp nut today, at least that's my plan .
I would not use wood, it's not strong enough, the teeth will just chew through it. Trust me, I tried.

Not sure about your specific bike, but on mine the manual calls for the clutch hub nut to be installed to something like 75 ft-lbs. The comp sprocket is called for 165 ft-lbs or something with red thread locker. I use a 2 foot breaker bar to break it loose. Wood is not going to stand up to that force. You may get lucky with hardwood, my attempt was with pine because that's all I had. Personally, I bought one of those nylon step things that's shown in the manual and it works good.

The other option is a jamb bar like what schmidty talked about.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I would not use wood, it's not strong enough, the teeth will just chew through it. Trust me, I tried.

Not sure about your specific bike, but on mine the manual calls for the clutch hub nut to be installed to something like 75 ft-lbs. The comp sprocket is called for 165 ft-lbs or something with red thread locker. I use a 2 foot breaker bar to break it loose. Wood is not going to stand up to that force. You may get lucky with hardwood, my attempt was with pine because that's all I had. Personally, I bought one of those nylon step things that's shown in the manual and it works good.

The other option is a jamb bar like what schmidty talked about.
If the wood doesn't work I have a good length of 1/2" thick aircraft aluminum that I can cut down to fit. Thanks for the post brother.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ok, update, I think I found out what started this whole thread, after pulling everything apart, I inspected the main drive pulley from the transmission, it was loose, at first I just thought I'd be tightening it back up, damn! Wouldn't ya know the main shaft splines are galled and the pulley splines are worse..think I'm just gonna pull the whole transmission and take it to a local shop to have it gone thru and a new main shaft put in. I don't have a press ,so the local shop will get some love.. I got a lot to address on this bike so while it's down I will be taking care of those issues.Hope I can get it done before the nice riding weather gets here.
Light Musical instrument Wood Font Gas

Eye Dishware Tableware Automotive tire Serveware

Automotive tire Rim Gas Circle Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
That is the main drive gear that the pulley mounts onto (the mainshaft is the thinner shaft that passes through it).

In order to remove the gearset you will need to remove the inner primary bearing race from the mainshaft, once it is removed you will need to remove the shifter drum and forks, then you can unbolt the trap door and remove the gearset.

The main drive gear will still be in the case at this point, don`t drive it out, push it out with a puller or press, go gently, there is a lip on the case inside that retains the bearing, and it is fragile...

Once the main drive gear is out, remove the big snap ring and replace the big ball bearing.

What year bike is this?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
That is the main drive gear that the pulley mounts onto (the mainshaft is the thinner shaft that passes through it).

In order to remove the gearset you will need to remove the inner primary bearing race from the mainshaft, once it is removed you will need to remove the shifter drum and forks, then you can unbolt the trap door and remove the gearset.

The main drive gear will still be in the case at this point, don`t drive it out, push it out with a puller or press, go gently, there is a lip on the case inside that retains the bearing, and it is fragile...

Once the main drive gear is out, remove the big snap ring and replace the big ball bearing.

What year bike is this?
It's a Frankenstein, the engine is a 99 Evo and the frame transmission and primary are from a 94 or thereabouts. Thanks for the heads up on the rebuild. Not sure if I'm gonna take it to get rebuilt or try to take it myself yet, guess it depends on if I can source of parts.

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,968 Posts
Oh, man! I haven't been on here in a while but I'm glad that held together getting back on our ride! If you need help, just reach out and holler. You have my number! Wow that is a lot of work to change a belt, but I'm glad you found the issue casing it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Don't know where you're located but I noticed you had visited Pilot Mountain which is about 20 miles from me.
I have a press and probably anything else you might need if you decide to go into it yourself. Also, this place is just a few minutes from my shop. Home Grandeur Cycle Jonesville, NC (336) 526-2468
Cool, I appreciate the offer brother, but sadly I'm stuck in Fayetteville) Fort Bragg for the time being. But the next time me and RJ 64 get up that way I will message ya and we will meet up and ride .

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Oh, man! I haven't been on here in a while but I'm glad that held together getting back on our ride! If you need help, just reach out and holler. You have my number! Wow that is a lot of work to change a belt, but I'm glad you found the issue casing it.
Thanks my brother, I'm pretty much done stripping everything off the bike, just searching for replacement parts for now, gonna paint some rusty things and clean up some others, hopefully I will be back up on her soon. Any takers on that sportster yet. I've been asking around , but people act like it's never gonna get warm around here ever again..

·
2004 Ultra Classic
1,369 Posts
Last time I dealt with a 165 lb torque nut I slid a nice long 4-5' cheater pipe on and palmed it off. Don't have to have a lift table to wrench. Some 1 1/2''-2'' foam board is what I use for my knees.

·
weird member
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC)
3,455 Posts
Last time I dealt with a 165 lb torque nut I slid a nice long 4-5' cheater pipe on and palmed it off. Don't have to have a lift table to wrench. Some 1 1/2''-2'' foam board is what I use for my knees.
When I have had to pull my primary apart, when I use the 2' breaker bar on the comp nut, the bike is on the side stand and I face the bike standing even with the comp nut, breaker bar in place, wide stance, left hand holding the left fork and pull the bar with my right, I pull real tight and just keep holding pressure until it pops loose. I kind of lunge lean to the left with all my weight.

But I'm also a little guy, can't do more than 2 pull ups. Never blew out my bottom end or burst a hernia doing it. It's the toughest nut to bust, but something something dirty double entendre.

·
Registered
207 Posts
That's pretty much what everyone on the net has said as well. Now I will have to remember that I can go up one more after 5th.😂
Every metric I had was a 5 speed and no matter what size the motor was, I always felt I needed a taller final.
Seemed on my 1700 roadstar at 80 mph, that thing was screaming and buzzy.
When I went to harley and got a six speed, it was not laboring at all going 80 to 90 down the freeway 2 up.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts