Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trip to Boise put me well over the 1k mile mark so I guess I will waddle on down to the Hardley-Dangerous dealer and gets me some consumables. I read through my manual and found every gasket, etc they call out for all the maintenance procedures called out at 1000 miles and put them on an excel spreadsheet. I will take this and have the dealer fill it then staple the receipt to it. Along with logging it in my owners manual, this should serve as eveidence that the job was done should warranty issues arise.

The only part of the job I don't care for is changing the oil filter....I seem to always make some sort of a mess.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I think I hold a record that I really dont want. My 1000 mile check up with a syn 3 oil change was $425! Rippped off I was!

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow. All told the materials cost me $63 and that included buying a belt tensioner gauge. Without that it was $43. I can't see much sense letting the dealer charge me for whats in the maintenance manual and really isn't very hard.

Max told me not to put syn in until 5k so I am going with dino guts again.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
OK Lil. I know you always have a good reason for your questions but I cant figure this one out?

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FWIW,

I just did another oil change on my bike. I used the light cardboard that comes under an ink blotter (Calendar type) for a desk. I cut it in 4-5 strips and placed a piece under the filter before spinning it off. If you cut it right, you can sneak it up and around the back of the oil filter.

]
Excellent!!! I have a somewhat stiff, thin piece of plastic (basically one of those throw away cutting boards) that I have been using, but it has too much memory and keeps sproinging out and then the oil gets all over. Your method seems much better.

By the way, as evidenced by your oil filter you seem to have a bit of disdain for society. :D

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah.....20 years of Civil Service does that to ya....:D

I opted to go with a sticker-per-oil-change, rather than one more piece of Chromey McBling.
I'm already on Ebay looking for those stickers.

·
Registered
39,458 Posts
Ive done a similar thing to what Hanz is using, but I just use the box that the oil filter comes in.

Another thing you can try is using a 2-liter coke bottle.

Just cut the bottom off of a plastic plastic pop bottle. Then remove a section down the side (sorta like a canoe cut in half) so it can slip under the filter bottom. Insert the bottom of the 2-liter bottle under the filter coming in from the left side of the bike instead of from the front as with the card board method. Then when you loosen the filter the oil will run down collecting in the neck of the bottle. Remember to leave lid of the bottle attached.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ive done a similar thing to what Hanz is using, but I just use the box that the oil filter comes in.

Another thing you can try is using a 2-liter coke bottle.

Just cut the bottom off of a plastic plastic pop bottle. Then remove a section down the side (sorta like a canoe cut in half) so it can slip under the filter bottom. Insert the bottom of the 2-liter bottle under the filter coming in from the left side of the bike instead of from the front as with the card board method. Then when you loosen the filter the oil will run down collecting in the neck of the bottle. Remember to leave lid of the bottle attached.
Pic available?

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,181 Posts
I've been real impressed by the King Sized MityVac I've been using for everything, I'll bet if I scrounge some in the barbed hose connectors bins, I can rig a 90 degree fitting, that I can put real small diameter and heavy stock barbed tube fitting straight out, that I can grind at an angle/point to pierce the end of the filter with, another barbed fitting 90 degreees out to hook to the MityVac suction hose, and leave the blunt 90 degree corner to thump with a hammer to pierce the filter, on the lower corner, and rely on the Vac to suck it dry before unscrewing it. Might be worth matching the piercing member's diameter to something like a golf T so you can cork up the hole so there's no dribble.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Heeeeeyyyyyyy...........

Me likey. :dance

I'll try that next time. Now to get me some caffiene loaded soft drink and then come back and type everything that enters my mind.........:D

Seriously: I'm gonna try that trick. ;)
That explains some things.
:rofl:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts