Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Heritage is in need of paint and body work, one tank has small dings in the front, the rear fender is missing the seat retainer, just gone not sure what happened to it, various dents and dings. The front has a few dings, and one large dent, similar to JP's, from a horn being mounted to the front of the frame. The paint is looking tired and in need of brightening.

I have not started checking into the cost of repairs and paint yet, but it would seem faster and cheaper to have good tins (aftermarket or HD), paint and hang. Anyone used aftermarket tins from JP or anyone else, if so how is the quality? What if any impact on the value of the bike?

I'm thinking paint cost is the same, the difference would be in the time to repair and paint, or prep the new parts and paint. Seems pretty cut and dried to me, but this is not my area of expertise.

Body and paint guys, repair or replace? I can post pictures in the gallery if needed.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Depends on cost of new tank and fenders vs body repair... the cost I would charge to fix dents on a motorcycle tank and fenders, depending on the size and number of dents, would probably be the same cost of just buying the new tank alone and of course paint cost would be the same either way you go. So just depends on who or where you take it to get fixed.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ironman, any feedback on the aftermarket tins? Or I am better sticking with the OEM HD?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Honestly I've never heard of anyone using aftermarket sheet metal but in my opinion if you look at it from a resale stand point and value wise original equipment is always better than anything. Just like a used car. I know when I had my old vette it was all about original equipment for higher $

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tend to keep vehicles for a long time, and wear them out. Never could trade up every year or really wanted to for that matter. So while it is something to keep in mind, not really interested is selling it.

JP has front and rear repro fenders for $130 each, 5 gal flatside tanks for $230 and the 6gal on sale for $180. Have yet to check with the dealer for pricing. Kinda 'fraid to check.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Most places charge by the hour but then take their time drink a lot of coffee drag their feet make phone calls... that's why I started doing my own work and that's kinda what I was figuring, sight unseen on dents, was around $200 for body work.

·
Office Linebacker
1,218 Posts
A couple of things for you think about regarding tanks, if you are going Re-pop, Wind...

First, depending on your school of thought, you may or may not need to get the inside treated/sealed (Kreem, etc).

I say "School of Thought" because when I went through a new tank project, I found many who insisted that the inside be sealed, while some said it was not necessary, and could even cause problems. (I recall the great Dave63 felt it was not necessary). I had mine treated, but I never got a good sense of what was correct. (I got Dave's advice after the fact.

If doing so, some suggested that if it was not done properly, it could "Peel", and really screw up your engine, as it will be in your gas.

Secondly, if it is not painted and sealed properly (i.e. around the fuel bung), the gas fumes can "seep" under the paint and separate it from the metal. so FIND A REPUTABLE PAINTER!!!! (Don't ask me how I know this.)

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info guys! It looks like repairing may not be out of the question, kinda thought it would be more expensive to do that rather than replace. I would rather keep the original parts on it.

DeeDay, love Terry Tate!!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And those dent will never effect the joy it brings. It is not, nor ever will be a show bike. Those are no fun, hell I got it to ride, just would like to look a little better.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Just had a 1996 FLHTC with some poor paint, scratches and small dents, two color with pin stripe and painted emblems was $2200.00. That included two tone on the inner fairing as well and I think it came out awesome.... Don't know if that helps you out at all???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts