Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I might be selling my 2013 CVO Break Out in a few months. I never really sold one so looking for tips to get the best coin. What sites do you guys typically use, and any other tips will be appreciated. I plan to sell it for around Blue Book. Thanks!

·
Registered
10,722 Posts
I use Craigslist. Have both bought and sold bikes. Craigslist is free and you can alter or delete your ad any time you want. You can take a few pics, write your ad and have it on Craigslist in maybe 15 minutes.

Yes, you may have to deal with a couple of idiots, no big deal. And besides having interested persons contact you through Craigslist email I also list a cell number, lots of folks do a lot of texting these days. Besides a few good pics, the more info you can put in your ad the better, will save you time answering the obvious questions. And this forum has had discussions regarding how folks feel about allowing test rides--I'm in the category that it is highly unlikely I would allow a test ride but if a prospective buyer wants to make sure it runs, shifts, brakes OK they can ride as a passenger for a couple of miles.

Craigslist has a policy of one ad in one location. But when I am really bored sometimes I look at their bike ads and besides here in Louisville I may also look at their ads in other cities. I see a LOT of bikes advertised in more than one location. It appears that if you alter the title of your ad even a little bit they won't pick up the same bike listed in a different location or two.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
It appears that if you alter the title of your ad even a little bit they won't pick up the same bike listed in a different location or two.

That is correct :thumbsup

·
American
26,535 Posts
Well I might be selling my 2013 CVO Break Out in a few months. I never really sold one so looking for tips to get the best coin. What sites do you guys typically use, and any other tips will be appreciated. I plan to sell it for around Blue Book. Thanks!

Then...... what do we get to help you buy?

·
Old Skool
492 Posts
Check NADA for Price, it's what the Insurance Companies use. It will have a Retail Price, what you would expect to pay at a Dealer. +1 for Craigslist, I've sold 2 Bikes on there, No Hassle's.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Then...... what do we get to help you buy?
You guys might vote me off the island when I tell you what I just put a down payment on.

·
Super Moderator
12,673 Posts
Also try Facebook Marketplace. I am having less flaky people going through there, because you see their real name and profile. Weeds out the scammers a little better.

When pricing, I use KBB, NADA, craigslist and cycletrader to get comparative values.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got a chance to snag one of the Triumph Rocket3 TFCs. My wife is letting me keep both for a bit, it won't be here until 2020. But one will have to go. My ESP runs out on my Break Out this summer after the Collision so I will have a tough choice ahead.

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,752 Posts
Use one of those burner apps for your phone. You can list a burner phone number for calls and texts, then when your bike sells, you can delete the burner number and you don't have to bother with idiots calling you for months after the ad has been removed, or those that collect numbers so they can put you in their sells group.

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts
I sold my Road King last weekend after posting it on Craigslist and CycleTrader. Craigslist works (have personally sold multiple cars and a motorcycle on there), but is local to your area and so obviously narrows your audience. CycleTrader gives you nationwide coverage, and the more eyes on your bike, the better your chances of moving it. You never know who's out there looking and where they're located. The guy who bought my bike was out of my area so wouldn't have seen my ad unless he specifically searched my location. He also said he doesn't "mess with Craigslist" because "there are too many scammers." He said he trusts CycleTrader more because it seems more legit. When pressed why he thought that, he didn't have an answer. Doesn't really matter - people think what they think.

Aside from where to post your ad, take decent photos (multiple angles with close-ups), give good, accurate descriptions, and actually take the time to respond to people who write and ask questions. The golden rule comes into play here: treat prospective buyers as you'd want to be treated if you were the buyer.

Good luck with your sale and have fun on that new Triumph!

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
Also try Facebook Marketplace. I am having less flaky people going through there, because you see their real name and profile. Weeds out the scammers a little better.

When pricing, I use KBB, NADA, craigslist and cycletrader to get comparative values.

This!!! And I would list it on any local bike sale groups on Facebook. Craigslist works well, but as stated, less bullsh$t to deal with using Facebook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22,144 Posts
I got a chance to snag one of the Triumph Rocket3 TFCs. My wife is letting me keep both for a bit, it won't be here until 2020. But one will have to go. My ESP runs out on my Break Out this summer after the Collision so I will have a tough choice ahead.
Triumph Rocket 3 TFC has the world's biggest bike engine Where's the Tourpak? :dunno

168 hp
163 tq

..... a limited run of 750, with just 225 earmarked for the U.S. at $29,000 each and deliveries scheduled to begin just in time for the holidays in December.
It will be a rare bike. Don't register it, keep it for a few years and sell it for a huge profit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
REALLY good photos and adding a video really helps. Walk around in the video and turn the engine over. Also list any upgrades with part numbers and amount you paid for them. Lastly a book that has records and receipts of all service work and upgrades helps. I've used Craigslist, but have had more success over the years with Cycle Trader as ironically a lot of my buyers were out of state and found me through that website. Craigslist is great for local buyers.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
My wife listed my 03 ultra classic for sale or trade on craigslist on a Saturday evening. We traded it for a 1998 95th anniversary fatboy and some cash Sunday morning.

·
Maxgraphix
39 Posts
Im gonna use this forum to list my 17 Ultra in late July. What the dealership offers you is a joke! Im actually gonna downgrade to a Road King, tired of making payments but thats just me. I dont trust Craigslist and Ive sold too many things on Ebay that the buyer fell off the planet on.

·
2004 Ultra Classic
1,170 Posts

·
American
26,535 Posts
Its insane - I paid 21,500 for it NEW, 4000 in upgrades, 2200 miles and they offer me 15,000. I know they're into making money but are you kiddin me!
Typical.... no value in upgrades..... except to the owner.... I’ve done the same..... but it’s mine and the way I want it....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts