Harley Davidson Forums banner

Tire Balancing

4K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  SCHMIDTY 
#1 ·
Just had a new Dunlop E3 front tire put on my RK. It took a ton of weight to balance out. Not long ago I had a back tire put on, it balanced out perfect with no weights. :dunno

#4 ·
I will go to balance beads on the next new tire as my first tire when the bike was brand new had a lot of weights clamped on.

Where's the beef, I mean dot?

#15 ·
Bought a " NEW " 28 spoke chrome wheel from Hd, took a ton of weights to balance and of course the dealer says oh that normal...I call BS..but rode on it for awhile..rode like crap....got tired of it..pulled the dumbflop off put on a Michelin com II with 1oz of dyna beads...and guess what ???? yea..you got it..it rode soooo bad you couldn't hardly hold it on the road...put another 1oz pack of beads......little better.....put another 1oz pack of beads still crappy..........took the new tire off.. put the wheel on a Habor freight tire balancer.....the wheel was 3 1/2 oz out of balance..looked like they forgot to machine part of the wheel...sooo went to the heavy side and ground out 1 1/2 oz of metal from the wheel..any more grinding, drilling might have been to much...got it down to only 2oz out of balance..so then I ground and scuff up the metal and added exactly 2oz of JB Weld to the inside of the wheel.......perfectly balanced !!! put new Mich. Com II back on ..needed " NO " weights...balanced perfect, rides perfect.....moral to the story...HARLEY will sell you a pile chet wheel .........

#16 ·
All those weights on a wheel look like shit man !
When I was doing that I never put more than 3oz on a wheel. If it took more I re-broke the bead and shifted the tire on the rim. We had a good electronic balancer that gave a pinpoint where the wheel and the tire balanced regardless of the dot on the tire.
IMO. The wheel is usually the balance problem, not the tire. I've spun a lot of wheels sans tires and weights and they're never in balance ! Especially spoked (laced) wheels !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.