Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Front tire is making a what sounds like a low growl noise when cornering to the left at speed. I don't seem to notice any noise when cornering to the right. The more you lean the bike to the left on sharp curves, the louder it seems to get. Tire pressure is right on.
Any ideas why I might be hearing this? Thank you in advance for any input.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Front tire is making a what sounds like a low growl noise when cornering to the left at speed. I don't seem to notice any noise when cornering to the right. The more you lean the bike to the left on sharp curves, the louder it seems to get. Tire pressure is right on.
You sure it is the tire itself???

Sounds a lot like a bearing to me

(When turning the added side load makes it howl)

I personally would jack it up, remove the brake pads and spin the wheel. Then, grab the top and bottom and try to move the wheel sideways in each direction. If there is noise or play in either test.....there is your answer.

Does the bike have spokes?
If so are they all tight?
Is the axle torqued correctly?
Fork side to side alignment good?
Front to back alignment?
Bent fork?

Could be a lot of things I presume.
Same noises could come out of a rear bearing when you turn, are you sure you hear it from the front?.

Not trying to doubt what you said, just throwing out what comes to mind without physically hearing it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Señor Member
19,598 Posts
You sure it is the tire itself???

Sounds a lot like a bearing to me

(When turning the added side load makes it howl)

I personally would jack it up, remove the brake pads and spin the wheel. Then, grab the top and bottom and try to move the wheel sideways in each direction. If there is noise or play in either test.....there is your answer.

Does the bike have spokes?
If so are they all tight?
Is the axle torqued correctly?
Fork side to side alignment good?
Front to back alignment?
Bent fork?

Could be a lot of things I presume.
Same noises could come out of a rear bearing when you turn, are you sure you hear it from the front?.

Not trying to doubt what you said, just throwing out what comes to mind without physically hearing it.

Great reply.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It's likely the tire tread that wraps around the to the side if the tire. I experienced this same issue when I first purchased my 2010 FXDC. Once I changed to Michelin Scorchers, the sound and vibration went away. There's other posts on this forum about this same issue.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
It's likely the tire tread that wraps around the to the side if the tire. I experienced this same issue when I first purchased my 2010 FXDC. Once I changed to Michelin Scorchers, the sound and vibration went away. There's other posts on this forum about this same issue.

Makes sense... but I would think it would sound more like a humming noise than a growl if that was the case. That being said without hearing it who really knows!!

And thank you chief! Means a lot!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having a similar issue with my bike right now. Seems to have started on the right, and now I think I feel it when cornering left. When going into a hard right, it has a growl and I feel a little vibration. I have Metzelers with about 5K miles. The tread seems ok, pressures when warm were 42R and 34F...will low front tire pressure ( 4-6 psi) have this affect or should I look more to the front bearing(s)??

·
Poser Member # 99
17,163 Posts
if your not sure bearings are pretty cheap to repack if old style or replace if new sealed bearing . if you can do it your self it's probally less then 25.00 . if you take it to a shop ?????. check your tire out to if you find any thing then its your tire now your talking a hundred and something .

what's your Azzz worth . a few bucks either way I'd take a close look at things before you ride it any more . be safe not sorry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good call...I adjusted the air pressure, will see in the morning if there is any difference. If not, I will look into the bearings.

·
Harley Rider
10,489 Posts
How old is the bike?

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
I thinkbits just tread noise. Mine does it too and i only have 4k on a new bike. And my 2010 did as well. The older the dunflops get the louder it will become due to the cupping in the tread. But depending on age it could be a different problem.

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
How many miles on the tires? Motorcycle tires wear more in the center of the tread. When really worn, the sides of the tires still have tread grooves. As you corner, those grooves will make some noise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts