Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Learning Member
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you use?

For the longest time I used the standard cheapie 'pop out' version. Cost about 5 bucks.

I thought I should get more serious as I have read so much about tire pressure in this forum. 3 or 4 psi makes a big difference I have learned!

So, I went out and bought a digital one on sale. Normally 30 bucks, I got it for 50% off.

Did a little test on the weekend:
Cheapie reads 34 on the front wheel of the Sporty and the Digital reads 28.5

WTF? :what?

What do I do with that kind of info? How do I know which is right?

Your thoughts and experience please!

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
I have several that read all over the map and never mind the ones that hang on the hoses in gas stations.

I have a digital unit hand held with like a 6 inch hose.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Learning Member
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Darn - that's annoying !

. . . I want to 'test' them but I'm not sure how . . . I thought maybe I could set the regulator on my compressor to 40 and then check against that but that didn't work out for me . . .

·
Banned
71 Posts
What do you use?

For the longest time I used the standard cheapie 'pop out' version. Cost about 5 bucks.

I thought I should get more serious as I have read so much about tire pressure in this forum. 3 or 4 psi makes a big difference I have learned!

So, I went out and bought a digital one on sale. Normally 30 bucks, I got it for 50% off.

Did a little test on the weekend:
Cheapie reads 34 on the front wheel of the Sporty and the Digital reads 28.5

WTF? :what?

What do I do with that kind of info? How do I know which is right?

Your thoughts and experience please!
find and check with a few more. I've checked a few of the pop-out over the years, good for + - 5% .

:coffee:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Hell I would like one that I can use on the rear wheel. The standard pop out ones are a bigger to use due to clearance issues with either the brake rotor or the rear sprocket

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,756 Posts
I've collected several cheap ones over the years and decided to compare their reading and sure enough they were all over the place..found three outta a dozen or more that read the same...so I go with them ....going to get a better one soon!!

·
Wayward Son
23,862 Posts
....going to get a better one soon!!
Let us know what that "better one" is.
Have always hated the pop-up type. If not treated well it does`t take much to totally throw it out of calibration. A little squeeze or bend and they are shot. If it was even close to begin with.
Spent around $8 apiece on 2 dial type gauges. Bought same time, same place. Yep. They did`t agree with each other either.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,756 Posts
Let us know what that "better one" is.
If I find one I will :strum........Friend of mine just bought one that he uses just for his bike...I'll ask about it! he's fairly picky about tools and stuff so me thinks it might be a decent one??? bout 29 bucks he said?? I'd hate to spend that much, but he said its angle just right for his bike??

Those would be better than the ones I have now!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
A cheap pencil gauge is about as good as anything really. I must have 5 of them and they all read within 1 PSI of each other. Checking your tires before you ride, every time, is a good habit to have.

·
Registered
100 Posts
With as hard as it is to check and fill the air in the tires on an Ultra, has anyone put metal 90 degree stems in there 2014 Ultra?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
What gauge you use means less than using the same gauge all the time.

Buy a good gauge. Take care of it.

I have the same tire gauge since 1986. I treat it like it is made of glass, and I shake like a poodle shitting a peach pit.

I never lend it, or even let anyone use, touch or look at it. I kid you not.

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,756 Posts
I have the same tire gauge since 1986. I treat it like it is made of glass, and I shake like a poodle shitting a peach pit.
LOL...learn something new every single day!!:laugh

·
Registered
9 Posts
G.H. Meiser & Co. - World's Premier Maker of Precision Tire Gauges

Check out the ra60x. It has a right angle chuck on the hose. I have a right chuck to overfill with then, bleed it down to the correct pressure with the gauge. You can order a rubber protector to put on the dial, also.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
+1, Have that one, Accu-Gage RA60X (5-60 PSI) Right Angle Chuck Dial Tire Pressure Gauge with Hose. It also has feature where the guage locks in the max pressure obtained during the reading. Nice.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've noticed a difference of about 5 psi. I have one I trust for use with the bike and one for the car and truck. The others get lent out or used for lawn tractor duty. But I'm going to make me a test rig as dozer eluded to. Sounds like a great idea for peace of mind.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I use a Snap On long stick type I've had since the late eighties.

I protect it like Dave63 says- nobody toucha my tools!

Those cheap pencil types aren't worth the powder to blow them to hell. Total garbage.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I fought multiple cheap tire gauges over and over. What would work fine for the front tire would be a pain in the butt on the rear (to get a good reading). I finally broke down and snagged the one from Harley for $40. Works like a charm and truth be told.... I would of saved money going to the good one in the first place over buying multiple cheaper versions.

Here is the link : Compact Tire Gauge and Tread Depth Indicator with Braided Stainless Steel Lead-75137-98B | Tools & Gauges | Official Harley-Davidson Online Store

1 - 20 of 46 Posts