Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Learning Member
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you use?

For the longest time I used the standard cheapie 'pop out' version. Cost about 5 bucks.

I thought I should get more serious as I have read so much about tire pressure in this forum. 3 or 4 psi makes a big difference I have learned!

So, I went out and bought a digital one on sale. Normally 30 bucks, I got it for 50% off.

Did a little test on the weekend:
Cheapie reads 34 on the front wheel of the Sporty and the Digital reads 28.5

WTF? :what?

What do I do with that kind of info? How do I know which is right?

Your thoughts and experience please!

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
I have several that read all over the map and never mind the ones that hang on the hoses in gas stations.

I have a digital unit hand held with like a 6 inch hose.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Learning Member
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Darn - that's annoying !

. . . I want to 'test' them but I'm not sure how . . . I thought maybe I could set the regulator on my compressor to 40 and then check against that but that didn't work out for me . . .

·
Banned
71 Posts
What do you use?

For the longest time I used the standard cheapie 'pop out' version. Cost about 5 bucks.

I thought I should get more serious as I have read so much about tire pressure in this forum. 3 or 4 psi makes a big difference I have learned!

So, I went out and bought a digital one on sale. Normally 30 bucks, I got it for 50% off.

Did a little test on the weekend:
Cheapie reads 34 on the front wheel of the Sporty and the Digital reads 28.5

WTF? :what?

What do I do with that kind of info? How do I know which is right?

Your thoughts and experience please!
find and check with a few more. I've checked a few of the pop-out over the years, good for + - 5% .

:coffee:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Hell I would like one that I can use on the rear wheel. The standard pop out ones are a bigger to use due to clearance issues with either the brake rotor or the rear sprocket

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,837 Posts
I've collected several cheap ones over the years and decided to compare their reading and sure enough they were all over the place..found three outta a dozen or more that read the same...so I go with them ....going to get a better one soon!!

·
Wayward Son
23,865 Posts
....going to get a better one soon!!
Let us know what that "better one" is.
Have always hated the pop-up type. If not treated well it does`t take much to totally throw it out of calibration. A little squeeze or bend and they are shot. If it was even close to begin with.
Spent around $8 apiece on 2 dial type gauges. Bought same time, same place. Yep. They did`t agree with each other either.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,837 Posts
Let us know what that "better one" is.
If I find one I will :strum........Friend of mine just bought one that he uses just for his bike...I'll ask about it! he's fairly picky about tools and stuff so me thinks it might be a decent one??? bout 29 bucks he said?? I'd hate to spend that much, but he said its angle just right for his bike??

Those would be better than the ones I have now!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
A cheap pencil gauge is about as good as anything really. I must have 5 of them and they all read within 1 PSI of each other. Checking your tires before you ride, every time, is a good habit to have.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
What gauge you use means less than using the same gauge all the time.

Buy a good gauge. Take care of it.

I have the same tire gauge since 1986. I treat it like it is made of glass, and I shake like a poodle shitting a peach pit.

I never lend it, or even let anyone use, touch or look at it. I kid you not.

·
Registered
9 Posts
G.H. Meiser & Co. - World's Premier Maker of Precision Tire Gauges

Check out the ra60x. It has a right angle chuck on the hose. I have a right chuck to overfill with then, bleed it down to the correct pressure with the gauge. You can order a rubber protector to put on the dial, also.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
+1, Have that one, Accu-Gage RA60X (5-60 PSI) Right Angle Chuck Dial Tire Pressure Gauge with Hose. It also has feature where the guage locks in the max pressure obtained during the reading. Nice.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've noticed a difference of about 5 psi. I have one I trust for use with the bike and one for the car and truck. The others get lent out or used for lawn tractor duty. But I'm going to make me a test rig as dozer eluded to. Sounds like a great idea for peace of mind.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I use a Snap On long stick type I've had since the late eighties.

I protect it like Dave63 says- nobody toucha my tools!

Those cheap pencil types aren't worth the powder to blow them to hell. Total garbage.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I fought multiple cheap tire gauges over and over. What would work fine for the front tire would be a pain in the butt on the rear (to get a good reading). I finally broke down and snagged the one from Harley for $40. Works like a charm and truth be told.... I would of saved money going to the good one in the first place over buying multiple cheaper versions.

Here is the link : Compact Tire Gauge and Tread Depth Indicator with Braided Stainless Steel Lead-75137-98B | Tools & Gauges | Official Harley-Davidson Online Store

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.