Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just a reminder, if you haven't checked your tire pressures lately. Today I checked mine, frt. was 34psi, rear 20psi. I was shocked. It has never been that low. I aired the frt. to 36psi, rear 38psi. Factory calls for 36 frt. 40 rear, but since I normally ride solo with very little gear I run 38 instead.

·
Registered
691 Posts
This is just a reminder, if you haven't checked your tire pressures lately. Today I checked mine, frt. was 34psi, rear 20psi. I was shocked. It has never been that low. I aired the frt. to 36psi, rear 38psi. Factory calls for 36 frt. 40 rear, but since I normally ride solo with very little gear I run 38 instead.
Same here. I took my bike for an oil change a day before I left for Sturgis. I asked the dealership to check the tire pressure since it's part of the oil change service. I checked the tire pressure the weekend I got back from my trip and the front was 30psi and back 36.. I could not believe it. The weather didn't fluctuate that much. could a 3000 mile trip cause the tire pressure to fall that much? Or the bloody boneheads at the dealer didn't check it before my trip.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Yep, good reminder. Hadn't checked mine in a while. Back was 34 instead of 41 and the front was only at 30 instead of 42!

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm gonna put back on the lift in the morning and make sure there's no nail or anything in it. Don't know why I didn't check it yesterday?:dunno

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,520 Posts
I doubt any trip could cause you to lose pressure. I just returned from a 2088.8 mile round trip and the tire pressure was right where I started....36/40.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
I doubt any trip could cause you to lose pressure. I just returned from a 2088.8 mile round trip and the tire pressure was right where I started....36/40.
Ditto.

--

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
Thanks for the reminder, I try and check em every couple of weeks. I had stored the bike this past winter, took it out for some slow speed drills, kept breaking traction on quick stops.... 25 psi will do that. I'll never do that again.

·
Registered
11,168 Posts
Owner's manual for my '13 RG says 36 front, 40 rear. I think that's what the owner's manual for my Dyna also called for. I air up 38 front and 42 rear, hoping to cut myself a little slack if I don't check them again for several weeks.

One of these days I'm going to remember to put my glasses on and get a flashlight and maybe a damn magnifying glass and see what the sidewall of the stock Dunlops say about pressure.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Don't go by the sidewall. Follow the manual or the T.P. sticker on the vehicle. Sidewall is MAX pressure the tire is rated for. The tire manufacturer doesn't know what vehicle the tire is going to be mounted on.

--

·
Señor Member
19,668 Posts
This is the one thing I love about tubed tires. I've checked them probably 20-30 times in our 3.5 years together, and I've added air maybe twice. A pound or two.

They don't leak.

Until they're flat and then you're hosed.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Just checked mine, I was low.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
I like to run mine at F-38 and R-40. The book calls for 36 and 40. I also have a Tire Pressure Monitor on the bars and monitor it. Some colder mornings it will read 36 and 38 but by the time I get to work 26 miles later at mostly 65 mph. They will read 38-39 and 41-42, respectfully. In the heat of the day and we are talking high 90s that pressure will rise to 40 and 43 respectfully. I've even seen the rear go as high as 45. I watch a lot of NASCAR and they talk about tire pressure affecting a cars handling during a race. I'll tell you I can literally feel the bike ride harsher when the tire pressure goes up due to heat. I also have been riding for 50 years and I have learned to help cut down on tire cupping which leads to front end wobble, run a pound or two higher in those tires.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
Check mine once a week. Front always loses about 2 lbs. in 2 weeks. Plus its a tube! All 4 of them have lost air at same rate. Must be skinny tire thing?

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,520 Posts
When the weather changes in season, like the first cold front of the year, I can count on having to air the tires. They both lose a few pounds. Otherwise, they seem to do pretty good on holding pressure. Still check them no less than once a week.

·
Señor Member
19,668 Posts
When the weather changes in season, like the first cold front of the year, I can count on having to air the tires. They both lose a few pounds. Otherwise, they seem to do pretty good on holding pressure. Still check them no less than once a week.

When the weather changes I check it more often. In the heat of summer, maybe once a month.

·
Registered
365 Posts
When the weather changes I check it more often. In the heat of summer, maybe once a month.
Ditto. I run 36 front and 40 rear, little higher than suggested but after tinkering with different pressures, Ive found these #'s to ride the smoothest and grip the best when "jammin" around. For long rides 36lbs makes the front end ride nice and soft yet still hard enough for quick evasive maneuvers if need be. I will also drop the rear to 38 when on multiple days highway rides (like NY-FL or opposite). The couple pounds less makes the rear a touch softer over abutments n where bridges have raised edges where they meet road. As soon as back in town I fill back tire up to 40 again. Just my $.02...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts