Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tire pressure for my Dunlops call for 36 psi front and 42 psi for the rear tires. I had a Harley tech tell me to run 35 psi in both front and rear, even when riding 2 up. He said I would get a more even wear on the tires. I have read somewhere that the stated air pressure on the side of the tires are the maximum pressure that should be inflated. So does this mean that running 35 psi in both front and rear is OK? I just don't want any potential tire failures especially running 70 mph down the highway.....Thanks in advance for any of your knowledge and thoughts about this.

·
Retired citizen
23,188 Posts
Running low air psi in tires causes them to cup. 36 psi for the front is correct but IMO 35 psi in the rear will create cupping and uneven wear. Plus load capacity is decreased.

·
SwampRat
836 Posts
I run 38 F and 42 R for years and get great Mileage .. Just replaced the Metz Tires on the FXR4 after 16K on them most I know are lucky to get 10K ...

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
Been running 36 F/ 42 R. Per manual. 9,000 miles on rear Dunlop, front looks great, bike feels like its glued to the road in heavy rain. Rear is getting close to needing a change.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,344 Posts
I have always run the 36/42 pressures. After getting 26000+ miles on front and rear tires, I have no incentive to change.

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
40 psi up front and 40.in the rear,(as it says on the tire) I Let the suspension do the work.

FYI: The manual doesn't know when or if you change tire brands, so becarefull about using the manual for tire pressures.

·
Registered
365 Posts
when I had the stock Duncraps on I ran 36f 38r. I never did care for their road holding ability. I ride hard at times n like a tire to stick in the corners. Since switching to Metzy's I have always run 40&40. Tires last ten thousand or so. Not bad for a zero radius tire. Pretty good considering my riding style n the fact I ride most twisty mountain roads. Very good considering I got 6,800 out of rear duncrap n the front has a couple thousand left on it. This rear (metzy ME880, of course)has 3,800 on it n still looks new. The front has 14,600 now n still looks great. Will def last until next rear is needed barring incident...

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
The tag on the frame neck calls for 38psi f/r. I switched from the Dunlop police tire to Dunlop E3's, now I run 40psi f/r.

·
Registered
139 Posts
37 rear and 32 up front. It's what the people who made the tires said to run them at.

It all depends on what your bike is, load rate of the tire and that axle, and volume of air you can get in the tire. Run a tire rated to 922 pounds on an axle rated for 675 and the side wall is so tough you could get away with 15# of air and feel fine but be under inflated and wear the tire out too quick.

Here is what I was taught a long time ago. Measure your tire psi after a 30+ mile run, if it is 10% more than cold psi you have the right cold psi. No two riders will be the same. But alas In Today's world people are mostly lazy and seek out strangers on the web because they just may have never been taught right. Might take a few days if its not 10% more after the first ride of a tire that's new and worn in proper. I allow for growth after 3 days. Pump up to 10% less than sidewall max psi and go ride. I mostly get it right after one ride after 3 days growth and 200 miles.

I was happy to see Shinko was dead nutts on what they said to ride at. Even when I get a same set of replacements I redo to make sure I run current tires right. Doing so means I can get 10k easily on these tires.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
40 psi up front and 40.in the rear,(as it says on the tire) I Let the suspension do the work.

FYI: The manual doesn't know when or if you change tire brands, so becarefull about using the manual for tire pressures.
The tire doesn't know what bike it has been installed on either.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Reactions: Smoketown$1

·
Señor Member
19,666 Posts
I run 39 in both and like it.

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
I hear KD runs 32 in all four.

·
Señor Member