Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone out there had a great experience buying tires for their harley from an online retailer? Rocky Mountain.com or another?

i would like to know where to get a set of tires for my 2000 Electra Glide Classic without getting nailed by a dealer.

Thanks for any comments

·
Asylum Inmate
12,374 Posts
Plus one on Jakewilson.com for dunlops...

Motoxoutlet.com for avons.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Got my last set from Dennis Kirk. Good price and no problems. Quick delivery.

Indie charged me $25 (each) for mounting/balancing. Overall price including to pay for mounting was far less than what it would have cost me from a dealer.

The stealership has never given me a good deal. For that matter, never even a fair deal. Last time I got a tire at a stealership I had no choice because I was on the road out of state with a group of freinds. The stealershp was the only place open on a Sunday and I couldn't ask everyone else to wait overnight and half of Monday or maybe even into Tuesday for me. For what they took from me to replace 1 tire with a nail in it I could have bought two complete sets from a place like Dennis Kirk. On top of that, the Dunlop they gave me was a piece of crap. The next year it was already splitting open between the treads!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Got my last set from Dennis Kirk. Good price and no problems. Quick delivery.

Indie charged me $25 (each) for mounting/balancing. Overall price including to pay for mounting was far less than what it would have cost me from a dealer.

The stealership has never given me a good deal. For that matter, never even a fair deal. Last time I got a tire at a stealership I had no choice because I was on the road out of state with a group of freinds. The stealershp was the only place open on a Sunday and I couldn't ask everyone else to wait overnight and half of Monday or maybe even into Tuesday for me. For what they took from me to replace 1 tire with a nail in it I could have bought two complete sets from a place like Dennis Kirk. On top of that, the Dunlop they gave me was a piece of crap. The next year it was already splitting open between the treads!

I buy from Dennis Kirk also. First time an Indy put them on for $80. He pulled them off the bike and everything. Next time, I brought them to Cycle Gear. I think they charged $80 also, but I had to take them off the bike. They said they can price match the tire if they carry it and if you buy the tire with them they waive the $40/tire fee.

·
Retired citizen
24,275 Posts
I've had good experience with J&P. Also J&P has free shipping all this week !

·
Administrator
13,238 Posts

·
luv the low country
20,286 Posts
Please go on "The New to the Community" section and tell us about yourself and what you ride. I have purchased tires from MotorcycleSuperStore.com and found their prices competitive for Dunlap WWW American Elite.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Check with dealer for tires, mount and balance. I pd about same price as a friend getting from dealer as he did ordering on line and had them mount and balance. Besides if there's an issue with tire it's easier to walk in store face to face get resolved than on line.
Just a thought, how many goes to butcher to buy a good steak and takes it to Texas Roadhouse to have them cook it? Sorry I'm an ass , I say what I think sometimes when I should keep my mouth shut. It's got me in trouble more than once

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
127 Posts
Been using American Motorcycle Tire - American Motorcycle Tire for a couple years now. Usually on my door step a couple days after I order. Free shipping.

My indie charges $25 per wheel to mount and balance. I take them off/on the bike.
I have used AMT for tire purchases as well, very good prices and free shipping. I do my own tire changes so my only expense is the tire itself.

·
Registered
438 Posts
A lot of dealers will charge extra to mount tires not purchased from them. Check around.
That being said...JakeWilson.com
Some dealers, I have found, Charge extra to mount tires bought from them at full price.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Check with dealer for tires, mount and balance. I pd about same price as a friend getting from dealer as he did ordering on line and had them mount and balance. Besides if there's an issue with tire it's easier to walk in store face to face get resolved than on line.
Just a thought, how many goes to butcher to buy a good steak and takes it to Texas Roadhouse to have them cook it? Sorry I'm an ass , I say what I think sometimes when I should keep my mouth shut. It's got me in trouble more than once

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
I'd say your friend either got ripped in that deal or he bought a much more expensive tire than you did!

The indie I go to (Biker's Oasis in Bellingham, Wa) makes a profit from mounting tires. He's doesn't mind people bringing in their own tires for him to mount one bit. Why would he not want to make money at his business? Better to make a little money mounting a tire, and repeat it over and over than to try to make a bigger profit by forcing customers to buy his tires at a markup only to have them walk away and go to someone else.

·
Registered
42,085 Posts
I have used AMT for tire purchases as well, very good prices and free shipping. I do my own tire changes so my only expense is the tire itself.
What kind of tools do you use for this?

What do you do about balancing?

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
I have ordered from Dennis Kirk and J&P, and always got fresh tires at a good price.

I also mount and balance my own tires. I have done so all my life. I have three long tire irons, some rim protectors and the Horror Fright ballancing stand.

·
Registered
127 Posts
What kind of tools do you use for this?

What do you do about balancing?
To remove the tire from the wheel I break the sidewall bead from the wheel on each side, then I use a box cutter on each side and cut the tire at the thinnest part on the side wall. The tire can then be removed in three pieces using your hands, no tools required.

I remount the properly lubed tire on the wheel, most of the times I don't need tools, I have a couple of short tire irons if the tire needs some urging for the last few inches, Be careful not to scratch the wheels with the irons.

I use a product called "RIDE ON", it is a liquid balance product with the added benefit of being able to seal small punctures. When using this product be sure to check occasionally to be sure you haven't picked up a nail or such. Ride On seems to work better than balance beads for balancing. I use this on both bikes. In over 50 years riding I have had a shop change a tire one time and they scratched a wheel.

Both my bikes run tubeless tires so this works for me.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
J&P or Dennis Kirk

·
Banned
85 Posts
Has anyone out there had a great experience buying tires for their harley from an online retailer? Rocky Mountain.com or another?

i would like to know where to get a set of tires for my 2000 Electra Glide Classic without getting nailed by a dealer.

Thanks for any comments
Really...your going 95 mph on a thin piece of rubber.......and you want to buy cheap online tires. LOL

·
Banned
85 Posts
I buy from Dennis Kirk also. First time an Indy put them on for $80. He pulled them off the bike and everything. Next time, I brought them to Cycle Gear. I think they charged $80 also, but I had to take them off the bike. They said they can price match the tire if they carry it and if you buy the tire with them they waive the $40/tire fee.
I see all you guys dont have very good dealers in your area... like Riverside H.D. in California buy your tire from them , they mount and balance and install any bike any year ...for $49.00

1 - 20 of 29 Posts