Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 4200 miles the rear tire on my Super Glide was worn out. I’ve never had good luck with Dunlop tires and this one was not going to change my opinion. The quandary was what tire would be the best choice to replace the factory tread. Pirelli MT-66’s were great tires when I put them on my 2008 XL883, but these tires were not available in a size that would fit the rear of my FXD. Pirelli Night Dragon’s would fit, but the reviews on these tires were mixed with no one reporting good tire mileage. Michelin makes tires that fit, but they do not make a matched set within the same product line. The reviews of Michelin tires were good overall with many riders noting that the center split tread lacked directional stability on tar snakes and similar road defects.

I ended up with a set of Metzler ME880’s. The reviews of these tires were fantastic; tire mileage was very good to. After getting them mounted last week I took them on two 200+ mile rides.

Metzler tires run at higher pressures than Dunlop or Pirelli tires. Metzler recommends 40 to 42in the front tire and 42 to 46 in the rear tire. While you would think that the increase in pressure would make for a rougher ride, it didn’t. I can’t claim any real improvement in the softness of the ride with Metzler’s, which was something that I immediately noticed when I put MT-66’s on my Sportster, but the ride was not any harsher either.

Running higher pressures in the MT-66’s on my Sportster had negative results. Steering became overly responsive and too sensitive. Everything from road defects to small rocks made the front end very skittish. The bike was generally too harsh of a ride too. Not so with the ME880’s on the Super Glide. The bike feels considerably better controlled than it did with the stock Dunlop tires.

Directional stability was excellent in high winds, over tar snakes, road patches, as well as other road defects. Where these tires really shine is in the corners. I was pleasantly shocked at how well these tires cornered. I’m not just talking about traction in a corner. The ability of these tires to let you change your track in a turn was something that my previous favorite MT-66’s could not perform as well as the ME880’s.

I never realized how clunky the factory Dunlop tires were until I took a hard corner on Metzler’s. When I bought the Super Glide I blamed its more labored cornering on the fact that I was comparing it to a Sportster – a smaller, lighter motorcycle with a shorter wheelbase. Now with ME880’s on the new machine its agility and cornering were as good as anything that I had experienced on my XL883. I suspect that the Sportster would regain a few points if it has ME880’s on it.

These bias tires feel very much like radials but are more stable. I am very pleased with Metzler 880’s. They cost a bit more than Michelin tires and about the same as the Pirelli Night Dragon. I didn’t even price Dunlop’s; hell I wouldn’t put a Dunlop on a wheelbarrow. I have not had these tires long enough to comment on their mileage.

·
Banned
5,305 Posts
I've had several sets of Metz Me 880's over the years. Always found them good, but they do tend to go away fast towards the end, so watch that. I agree the Dunlops that come stock on the Harleys are crap, they are making a cheap tire there for harley, the lowest bid wins. Dunlop do make some good tires but they don't come stock!

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I have the radial ME880's on my ride and feel much the same way as you. Wet traction is also very good with the Metz. As far as mileage is concerned I get a tad less wear than the Dunlops but boy is it worth it IMHO.

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had several sets of Metz Me 880's over the years. Always found them good, but they do tend to go away fast towards the end, so watch that. I agree the Dunlops that come stock on the Harleys are crap, they are making a cheap tire there for harley, the lowest bid wins. Dunlop do make some good tires but they don't come stock!
They guy who installed the tires said that Metzler's are very sensitive to low air pressure. As long as you keep air in them they wear evenly and wear well, but if you let the air pressure down they tend to cup and wear unevenly. Or so he claims.

·
Banned
5,305 Posts
They guy who installed the tires said that Metzler's are very sensitive to low air pressure. As long as you keep air in them they wear evenly and wear well, but if you let the air pressure down they tend to cup and wear unevenly. Or so he claims.
I always keep an eye on the pressure, got the whole set up in the garage makes it very easy. :thumbsup

Mine always wear evenly, no problem with cupping ever, after over 15 sets of these I know the tires well. Great in the rain, handling etc...

My point was....when you are looking at the tires as you should quite often, as they get towards the end of their life the last 1000 miles or so they go away at a faster rate than expected. Don't know if any other people have noticed this or not.

Whenever I am walking towards a bike to get on I look at whichever tire is facing me or when I get off. Doing this one time I caught the nail stuck in the tire, if I had been looking at the clouds or some guys ass I might not have noticed it. Another good habit!:know

·
"Ain't quite right"™
11,205 Posts
Been running the ME880's since I've changed out the Stock Dunflops. The rear Metz lasted about 10,000 miles before I hit the wear bars.

But I also rode it for a week damned near flat, and it had no pressure on Friday when I checked it on the way home. I also rode it about 9000 miles with a plug, at (let's just say) higher than average highway speeds. Towards the end, I was airing it up every morning...to about 40psi, and riding home on about 32psi.

The front lasted about 12000 miles before half of it was bald.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts