Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new street Glide 800 miles, Front tire appears to have dry cracks on the side walls, rear tire looks okay. Anyone else seeing this? I'll be bringing it in for the 1000 mile service next week, should I expect a new tire? I'm also getting a metallic bang noise from the rear of the bike over sharp bumps like potholes and manhole covers, man this thing rides stiff compared to my old 03 flhpi

·
Registered
261 Posts
I had the same problem. my front tire was less than a year old but looked like it was 10 years old. It was cracked bad. I replaced both with Commander II. I am very happy with the C2s.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,356 Posts
I'd make some noise about the tires when you bring it in. The cracking isn't normal.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My new street Glide 800 miles, Front tire appears to have dry cracks on the side walls, rear tire looks okay. Anyone else seeing this? I'll be bringing it in for the 1000 mile service next week, should I expect a new tire? I'm also getting a metallic bang noise from the rear of the bike over sharp bumps like potholes and manhole covers, man this thing rides stiff compared to my old 03 flhpi
It is a known problem by Dunlop, your dealer may not be aware. I know 10 people inc myself who have gotten a new tire free minus labor, HD won't absord labor cost for a Dunlop mistake.
Call dealer and ck before you take it in for service IF they haven't heard of it tell them to call Dunlop and they'll authorize dealer to replace it.
Clif

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have a 12 RGU and noticed the side wall cracks on the front tire last year after approximately 3000 miles on the tires. The cracks ranged in length from 1/8 to 1/4 inch long scattered randomly around the circumference of the tire. Like yours, no problem with the rear.

I now have 11,800 miles on the tires. Rear is fine, but the cracks have gotten much longer on the front, some of them 2 inches in length. I also noticed some very fine cracks starting to form at the bottom of the tread grooves. Since I have a 6K trip coming up, I took it to the dealership today and told them to put on the Commander II's front and rear despite having half the tread left on the rear.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
So you put another 8800 miles on your bike knowing there was a problem with your front tire? Sorry dude but that is just plain stupid.

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
I will be looking at my tires soon......who the fug I'am I kidding I am going to look now...:what?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts