Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Junior senior member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried a search because I'm sure there is probably a thread on tires here but I'll be darned if I can find anything...

Here goes:

I have a 2000 Sportster and have always used the Dunlop 401's as advised. Last year I moved out into the desert. I have about five miles of very sharp gravel to ride over before I get to the pavement. These Dunlops just are not standing up to this lava rock or what ever it is. Has anyone had any experience in finding a more aggressive tire?

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,387 Posts
I have no experience on that but i do have for atv tires. I would assume that would carry over. The issue here is that the soft compound tire needed for traction on a motorcycle is not designed for offroad use and i would also assume that if you get a tire hard enough to stand the offroad rocks and such, you would greatly reduce your traction onroad. I started my atv with stock carlisle tires. Tjey hadle well off road but where i ride there is alot of concrete and asphalt rds i access to get to the trails. When they ae wet i could do donuts no problem. Second set i got was itp. They woyld hook up and i could pop a wheelie on wet rd. But cut them up on the trail real quick. Went back to my carlisle.

Maybe a set of tirea for a dual sport may work for you.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
I tried a search because I'm sure there is probably a thread on tires here but I'll be darned if I can find anything...

Here goes:

I have a 2000 Sportster and have always used the Dunlop 401's as advised. Last year I moved out into the desert. I have about five miles of very sharp gravel to ride over before I get to the pavement. These Dunlops just are not standing up to this lava rock or what ever it is. Has anyone had any experience in finding a more aggressive tire?
This is a tough one. A sporty of that era has pretty good lean angles and capabilities, making you want a tire with good traction. I'd hate to see you sacrifice on road safety in turns especially by putting a dual sport tire on. They are made for lighter bikes, not a heavy harley.

This is an interesting problem....

Is it public land, or 5 miles onto your own land? If it is your own land the answer is simple. Build a path!!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 3 of 3 Posts