Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 05 wide glide a few weeks ago the mileage when I bought it was 7300. Since I don't know the maintenance records I am planning on doing a complete once through.. oil/filter change, air filter, plugs/wires, brakes, new front tire "he did replace rear last fall" new battery... My Question is am I being to cautious and going overboard? Or am I overlooking something else I should do?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
hell no-
fluids dont cost a lot- you want good rubber -plugs and wires are 10 years old-

buy the hd manual - not the other ones

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,464 Posts
As Rosconey says, the juices and plugs are cheap and worth the peace of mind to change them. Have the battery load tested, and if it passes, hang onto it for a while. Get a service manual and see what the procedures are for checking brakes, bearings, tires, etc. and before sinking money into new parts such as brake pads, you may find plenty of pad left on the ones you now have.
There's nothing wrong with being cautious, but no need to spend a lot of money that doesn't need to be spent....of course you can buy beer with what you do save. :)

·
2,327 Posts
You can never be too cautious...neglect can be really expensive and sometimes painful !!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Start fresh with what you know is done and done right, It's you bike now. It's better to be riding than broke down on side the rode. Enjoy the summer and your new bike.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
When I bought my 03 RK it had 7K on the clock, I changed everything front to back, except the tires I could tell they had just been done. Its cheap insurance. Only thing that got me was the headlight blew. Other than that its been a lot of trouble free miles.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I bought my 05 wide glide a few weeks ago the mileage when I bought it was 7300. Since I don't know the maintenance records I am planning on doing a complete once through.. oil/filter change, air filter, plugs/wires, brakes, new front tire "he did replace rear last fall" new battery... My Question is am I being to cautious and going overboard? Or am I overlooking something else I should do?
Go for it man. I did just about the same thing when I got the my Lowrider.

As others have said, do yourself a favor and get the service manual.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts