Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
'10 Street Glide
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I just moved to central Florida from New Hampshire.

Up north, I had a garage. Although it was not heated, at least my bike was out of the elements.

I'm having a house built down here, which will not be ready until the spring.
Until then, the bike (a 2010 Street Glide) sits outside in a parking spot next to my apartment.
The rainy season is over. The hot season is over as well.
The dew point is high in the evening, but then the sun is out and it's in the 70's here most the time during the day.

So - Should I cover my bike or just leave it uncovered?
If I cover it, I'm wondering if the condensation will build under the cover and cause the chrome to rust. (The disc brakes are already showing signs of rust).
If I leave it uncovered - will the elements (night moisture) just cause it to rust any way?

I've got about 4 months left before my house is done. It will have a 3 car garage with it (well, 2 cars and one bike!). But I just don't want the elements to eat up my bike before I'm moved in! I do have a good, mc cover (with ventilation) but the inside of it is already showing signs of mold! So, it can't be good for the chrome!!

Thanks for any advice.

- Jim

·
Wayward Son
23,316 Posts
A properly made, but expensive, cycle cover will vent moisture out but not allow any in.
Also, do`t know the wind conditions there but, be sure to get a lined cover. This will help prevent any cover movement from the wind from dulling, rubbing off the clear coat and getting into the paint.

·
Poser Member # 99
17,661 Posts
Don't you plan on Riding it daily if it's only be covered a few days a week it shouldn't be a problem.
Most of the new bike and Harley brand covers Breath if your concerned uncover it every few days. Or rent a storage locker and store it in side if your not going to ride it until you house is completed

There's no dryers vents near your bike parking Area ..:laugh...:laugh

Just my 2 cents

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
I'd cover it just to keep the wrong folks from seeing its a Harley. As far as whet kind of cover, I don't know.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Hi everyone.

I just moved to central Florida from New Hampshire.

Up north, I had a garage. Although it was not heated, at least my bike was out of the elements.

I'm having a house built down here, which will not be ready until the spring.
Until then, the bike (a 2010 Street Glide) sits outside in a parking spot next to my apartment.
The rainy season is over. The hot season is over as well.
The dew point is high in the evening, but then the sun is out and it's in the 70's here most the time during the day.

So - Should I cover my bike or just leave it uncovered?
If I cover it, I'm wondering if the condensation will build under the cover and cause the chrome to rust. (The disc brakes are already showing signs of rust).
If I leave it uncovered - will the elements (night moisture) just cause it to rust any way?

I've got about 4 months left before my house is done. It will have a 3 car garage with it (well, 2 cars and one bike!). But I just don't want the elements to eat up my bike before I'm moved in! I do have a good, mc cover (with ventilation) but the inside of it is already showing signs of mold! So, it can't be good for the chrome!!

Thanks for any advice.

- Jim
Clean your cover well. Kill the mold with bleach. Cover your bike, and turn your cover inside out every few days to let the sun kill off anymore mold spores . :thumbsup

·
Poser Member # 99
17,661 Posts
You might want to give the the bike a good wash and hand wax . How close are you to the salt water your fighting a losing battle if your close to salt water leaving it set out .Wash cover and kill the mold

·
Harley FNG
89 Posts
Not sure where in central Florida you are but I'd say cover it but never that 2-3 days at a time before you clean your cover. There is so much moisture and salt in the air(worse in some areas) it will rust/mildew something quickly.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,329 Posts
My first thought was the storage locker. It could serve as a nearby temporary garage. It would keep it safe from the elements and thieves/vandals and you could ride it every day too.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Assuming you are riding it on a regular basis i agree with covering it for protection from elements (even sunshine will eventually fade the paint) as well as for protection from prying eyes. I live on a boat but am lucky that there is a low priced storage place nearby where I rent a locker to use as a garage. If you have something like that nearby that's by far the best way to go. Especially if you aren't riding it on a regular basis. But I sure wouldn't let it sit out exposed for 4 months! That would be your worst case!

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I'd cover it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
If you're going to cover it for several days or longer, wash,dry cover with a cotton sheet,and a full motorcycle cover secure with extra bungie. I was a Floridian from 1948 thru 2006, but I've escaped !:)

·
'10 Street Glide
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for all the input. The general consensus is to cover it. I do ride it every couple days. So, what I'm going to try is to cover it when not riding, but maintain the cover, and uncover it in the good, dry weather from time to time to air out both cover and bike. I'm waxing the the chrome a lot. The paint is black denim, so I'm probably fighting a losing battle any way :) But I will err on keeping it covered most of the time. 4 months just can't come fast enough!

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
Get a cover that is lined with a fleece type material or a soft cotton and good venting. Regular nylon covers will scratch the hell out of your paint if the bike is out in windy conditions.
I have a Tourmaster cover that works great but it still needs a soft liner.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Whatever happened to the days of putting it in the living room?

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts

·
'10 Street Glide
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh yes, and thanks for bringing back the dryer vent thread. Man, that thread just won't die!! LOL

1 - 20 of 27 Posts