Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have a 98 Fatboy, which I am planning on swapping the oil tank on. Here are the facts for my question/post/thread.

1998 Fatboy in Chicago (right now 3/1/15) so the weather is cold and has been cold (yes the bike is in a garage) since I have oil in the bike and it has been my experience that the oil does this "low sump" or "dry sump" where as the oil all drains down into the bottom of the engine.

I'm wondering what would be best process, do I A) just pull the old oil tank and let any oil in the tank drain out, install the new tank and come spring after bike project is done start the bike, let remaining oil get hot and then drain the remaining oil. Or B) do I fire the bike now, let it run a while, oil gets hot and circulates through and then drain the warm oil now, swap out oil tank and then put new oil in before the end of winter project.

I guess either way would work, but maybe I'm missing something here, or maybe one of you guys have been down this road and can offer some advise to make this easy.

Any helpful info would be deeply appreciated,

Ajax

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I would run it for awhile and let it warm upso you can get all of the gunk in your oil suspended so it drains out with the oil.

·
Registered
11,968 Posts
+1 with Ziggy

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,328 Posts
If you want to clean out the oil gunkus, run some Seafoam in it when you warm it up.

Homepage - Sea Foam Sales Company

ask them how to do it. It wont hurt the bike at all and will clean out the oil system. Some run it in the oil tank all the time. Some just before an oil change.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I would run it till warm and drain, if winter project involves engine work I would leave it drained till done with project.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts