Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I kind of brought this up in my upgrades thread, but I'm not sure if it's getting much traffic.

I finally got my bars and grips in today!! I asked the dealership while there last weekend how long (aka how much) a handlebar install was. I was told one hour for a straight swap, or 6 HOURS (aka $600) for internal wiring. I'm no expert by far, I just started riding last year.... but i have basic mechanical knowledge. 6 hours to undo what? 10-20ish bolts, detach wires, pull them through new bars, reattach wires, and screw in the bolts? Sounds like it should be a 2 hour MAX for a garage of pro harley mechanics...IMO. I know a guy that did a straight swap on his lunch break, so I know THAT doesn't take an hour. I know 1 hour is their min charge, but still if they're telling me 1 hour for a straight swap..they gotta be stretching the internal out.

I really would prefer the internal, but Idk if I have the tools and/or know how to do it myself. Idk if I know anyone around here with either of those...

What do you guys think? Are they boning me on the garage time? Do I need anything special to do it myself? how "hard" is it?

thanks

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Ah, if it was only as easy as you make it sound. Properly done, each wire has to be removed from the connector, then unwrapped out of the harness. Quicker is to cut and solder each wire. Then there's the pulling through the bars. I did it once, now the wires outside my bars are invisible to me.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Ah, if it was only as easy as you make it sound. Properly done, each wire has to be removed from the connector, then unwrapped out of the harness. Quicker is to cut and solder each wire. Then there's the pulling through the bars. I did it once, now the wires outside my bars are invisible to me.

What say you STANGS?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

What say you STANGS?
He mentioned having to solder them, so I'm guessing that's the way they do it. That's the main issue I have, I don't have a soldering gun...nor do I honestly have enough experience using one to have confidence messing with my bike.

I do know I made it seem like a cake walk, but I was being a little facetious. I have looked into it a bit and everyone says its an arse pain.

but does 6 hours seem accurate?

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
6 hours for easy bars is about right, depending on cable swaps and such. If you were getting bars with complexity in their basic design, like Yaffe's, Carlini's or similar, it can be substantially longer than that.

If it was as easy as you make it sound, the dealer would never install a set of bars.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Those are not simple. The wires have to make 2, 90deg turns, per side.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I pulled my wires through and love them. It was worth giving it a try. However, looking at those bars; I wouldn't personally install. I would pay for them done.

·
Retired citizen
23,374 Posts
If ya think it's that simple then give it a shot yourself !
I've done a few and 6 hours is in the time frame.
And at $10.00 bucks an hour you're getting the BIG deal ! I charge $45.00HR !

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I appreciate it guys! It's tough to think about dropping $600 on installation! I could do soo many other things for that amount of cash....

Is it worth it? Or should I just try it without internal until I have spare change to throw at 'em?

·
Retired citizen
23,374 Posts
OR, try it yourself !
You'll get it done ! Just keep track of the time you spent so you can pass the info on.

·
Asylum Inmate
11,745 Posts
I assume you are doing this to the '14 HD 48?

Go internals!

If so first take a look at what they mean as Slotted? See if the slots are big enough for the connector to go through. Put a set on my buddy's sportster. I remember they came from J&P but not the brand, the slot was big enough to pull the connectors through.

If not you will need a pin removal tool. I use the Snap-On one. But Harley also sell one. Take a picture of the connectors and then pull the pins out. This will allow you to pull them through.

For those double 90s you will need to push and pull.

And life is easier if you just get some wire pulling lube from the electrical section of Lowes or Home Depot. Or an electric supply store if you have one close by.

So:

Take a shop vacuum and suck some string up through the bars. Put the vacuum on the control end of the bar and suck the string from the middle slot up through. (Connector or no connector you will still need to do this on the double 90s) Tie it off then do the other side same way. Sometimes you have to tie a little piece of rag on the string to get the vacuum to pull on it enough so it will go through the 90s.

If there is no connector and just the pins. Wrap the wire harness with electrical tape all the way over the pins. Then tie three half hitches around the harness from about 2 inches back to the pin end of the harness.

Feed it into the bars by pushing the wire harness in the control end. And pulling the string at the mount end. You will know when you get to the first 90 as it will stop moving. Pull the string a little tighter to get it to turn that corner. Takes a little finessing but it will turn the corner and you can push and pull to the next 90. Do the same finessing to get the lead to turn that last corner. Then push and pull until the delivery of the wires out the end.

Put your connectors pins back together.

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Pin removal tool I used was a paper clip. Get some wire lube. Coat the harnesses to be pulled liberally. It's cheap and it makes a HUGE difference in the force required to push/pull.

·
Retired citizen
23,374 Posts
If ya think it's that simple then give it a shot yourself !
I've done a few and 6 hours is in the time frame.
And at $10.00 bucks an hour you're getting the BIG deal ! I charge $45.00HR !
OOPs, 6HR for $600.00 is $100.00 bucks an hour !!!
I would charge $270.00 !

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
Just do it. It doesn't matter how long it takes the 600.00 is still in your pocket. Probably too cold to ride there right now anyway so just do one wire a day till it's done!

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Tommy; Until I saw the photo of your bars, I was thinking "not worth the effort/expense". Not my style, but damn nice looking bars, and internal wires are almost mandatory. Just my opinion:thumbsup

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
OOPs, 6HR for $600.00 is $100.00 bucks an hour !!!

I would charge $270.00 !

If I was charging, that's about where I would be. Bout $300

1 - 20 of 46 Posts