Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new to here but here is my question. I have a 2005 Road King Custom and I just put on Vance and Hines Slip ons. They sound great and the bike runs good. Do I need to jet the carb or will it be allwrite and not hurt anything?:ride

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
IMHO: Maybe

If the slip-ons are the only change from stock, then on a '95 the carb will prolly suck up the difference - that's what they do, and that's why they are better than FI.

Talk of what you need on the mains depends on whether you ever get on the main. That would be pretty balls-out.

If the thing idles good, and doesn't die anywhere, then it's prolly OK.

Plug chops are really the only cheap way to tell. If you want to spend money, then dyno will tell the story in the right hands - though it's useless unless the guy knows what he is doing.

Dave is right - it will have leaned things out a little, though that's not necessarily a problem with a '95 carby.

There's an easy test - take the slip-ons off and run it with just the headers. This is the most dramatic lean-out you can do on the exhaust side and you should see a difference. You will do no harm in a few miles.

Then put the originals back on and run it, then put the V&H back on and run it.

You should be able to see a difference, and that should tell you whether you need to adjust for the V&H's.

FWIW - both my bikes are carbs, and both of them are utterly indifferent to changes in the exhaust system. Carbs are built to accommodate quite substantial differences in height above sea level, which is much the same thing. They are far more sensitive to changes on the intake side.

I'll call the beer and raise a crate :rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
If the bike is idling and running fine without hesitation or exhaust backfiring you are doing alright.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts