Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an older guy, I've ridden motorcycles a few times in my life but have never owned one. I got a smokin' deal on a low mileage Sportster, bought it a few weeks ago and have been quietly messing with it in the garage and cruising up and down the driveway when I have been home alone. I bought some Harley forward controls and mini footboards, a Mustang solo seat and LED headlight from a guy the other day for $350. This morning I changed the oil, cleaned up some rusted bolts, installed the seat and installed an engine guard. This afternoon I told my wife I had the bike while she was at work, she's not happy at all. Just waiting for her to come home now, wish me luck..

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
😲 🤣🤪Well, that's the brave way! Best of luck to you! Now sign up for a m/c BRC class ASAP! When you get there, walk in with an open mind and a willing to learn attitude... That's my 2 bits, anyway...

Reactions: Bongo5 and mikec35

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I am definitely taking the safety class!
I had taken about 20 years off the saddle. Took the class through a HD dealership as a refresher and to learn the new laws. I had a lot of fun buzzing around on their Street 500. Not a bike I would want in my stables. But to take the course on, it's perfect.
My bike is a Ultra, that I love. My wife's bike is a 1200 Custom. Those Sportys are a blast to ride! They try to blow you off at freeway speeds. A small windscreen makes a ton of difference. Welcome to world of HD and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Should a waited till she found it and said "oh I've had that awhile, don't you remember " ?? I do that with the wife on new ham radios.... Lolol
Lol. I keep all my radios not being used in a wooden crate.

My girlfriend hasn't asked about the radios yet......but the guns are another story.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She came home and hasn't said 2 words to me. She just went to bed upstairs. Guess I'll hear it tomorrow.

On a lighter note, here is a pic with the Mustang seat and engine guard installed. Not sure I care for the gap between the seat and the gas tank but it's a nicer looking and more comfortable seat than what the previous owner had on it. I don't think the previous owner ever washed the bike!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Congratulations! Nice Bike!

·
Super Moderator
12,768 Posts
I had a boss once that bought a bike and kept it at work so his wife never knew. He would also show up to work late and leave early to "golf". Apparently his "golfing" partner was hot. He was great at lying to your face. Good on you to come forward right away and not sneak around.

When I went from my '97 to my '14 geezer glide, my wife didn't notice. She just saw a big black bike :D I 'fessed up right away.

·
Registered
11,202 Posts
My wife has never given me any grief about buying anything. But...., after I started riding again, in 2009 after being away from bikes for 30+ years, several years later when I bought a new '13 RG, she did say, "This is the 3rd new Harley you have bought within 6 years and they keep getting bigger. When are ya gonna stop?" I said, "Well, this is the biggest MF'er Harley makes so I' guess I'll stop with this one". Turns out that was a lie, now on my 2nd RG LOL.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yeah,, mine can come in from work..look at me and want to know what kind of gun I bought... Still ain't figured out the give away!!!
the trick is to have enough (Guns, Radios, Bikes, etc...) that she doesn't notice a new one coming in or an old one going out. My problem on the guns was trying to explain a new safe every once in a while.

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
She came home and hasn't said 2 words to me. She just went to bed upstairs. Guess I'll hear it tomorrow.

On a lighter note, here is a pic with the Mustang seat and engine guard installed. Not sure I care for the gap between the seat and the gas tank but it's a nicer looking and more comfortable seat than what the previous owner had on it. I don't think the previous owner ever washed the bike!

Get a two up seat and padded sissy bar. " See babe I was thinking of your comfort so we can go out together " If that don't work, she will be up stairs in bed and you better have a good couch sleep on for awhile. Ride safe

1 - 20 of 82 Posts