Harley Davidson Forums banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

Registered
I'm an older guy, I've ridden motorcycles a few times in my life but have never owned one. I got a smokin' deal on a low mileage Sportster, bought it a few weeks ago and have been quietly messing with it in the garage and cruising up and down the driveway when I have been home alone. I bought some Harley forward controls and mini footboards, a Mustang solo seat and LED headlight from a guy the other day for $350. This morning I changed the oil, cleaned up some rusted bolts, installed the seat and installed an engine guard. This afternoon I told my wife I had the bike while she was at work, she's not happy at all. Just waiting for her to come home now, wish me luck..

been married 42 years! Your first mistake is it鈥檚 too small for her to be comfortable. If you messed up, go bigger and make sure she is included. That solo seat says it all馃槈
FYI... it鈥檚 how I bought my Road King! She took a couple days, then we went for a ride!

Registered
Discussion Starter #42
2 days silent treatment for the most part at home but she can go to town texting me while at work. Shouldn't have hid it, if I have so much discretionary income then I should share, I鈥檓 too old, she鈥檚 not going to support my new hobby... Now she's back to normal. Haven't brought up the bike any. At least I can order Harley stuff and not worry about her seeing the packages!

Registered
I'm an older guy, I've ridden motorcycles a few times in my life but have never owned one. I got a smokin' deal on a low mileage Sportster, bought it a few weeks ago and have been quietly messing with it in the garage and cruising up and down the driveway when I have been home alone. I bought some Harley forward controls and mini footboards, a Mustang solo seat and LED headlight from a guy the other day for $350. This morning I changed the oil, cleaned up some rusted bolts, installed the seat and installed an engine guard. This afternoon I told my wife I had the bike while she was at work, she's not happy at all. Just waiting for her to come home now, wish me luck..

My ex told me "the bike or me" so naturally the bike won. When men succumb to womens ultimatums that just leads to more ultimatums so ride on brother!

Registered

The old saying. 鈥淚t鈥檚 easier to ask for forgiveness than permission鈥. Don鈥檛 worry your not alone. When I bought my Harley I already had another bike. The deal was too good. A set of speakers in your garage there and the song 鈥淏orn to be wild鈥 is the next recommend step. 馃槵

Registered
She is going to love once you get comfortable and get her out in the wind with you! Buy her a cool shirt, jacket and helmet so she feels like she's styling!

Registered
I too have bought a bike and my wife doesnt know about.
I have been riding for over 49 years. Spent the last 2 years without a bike. Finally decided I wanted to get one again and she is adament that I dont. Not cuz she doesnt like the bike altho she refuse to ride on one any longer after a traffic accident toward ago, she is against cuz we live in a high traffic/ motorcycle facility area and says I'm gonna die!
She finally said I could rent one out in the country and have one when done with all the house projects.
Meanwhile I came across a screaming deal on an '02 Road King Clasic that an older gentleman could no longer ride.
So right now it's in a storage facility untilI can I get it home.
I feel your pain 馃榿

Registered
Bought it and immediately put on a solo seat? Never even gave her a chance to go for a ride? I've found over the years that having my wife on my side is a lot more fun than trying to pull a fast one on her. Good luck with your bike, good luck with your marriage.

Registered
Been mentioned already. Your dealer have good selection leather for women? Kinda sucks them in, unless their like my previous one.. I was looking at dealers first 90 Fat Boy they got in. She was all goo goo eyed for leather gear. So are you going to ride on bike? Oh no Im scared. What ? Shit went down hill from there. Then active duty called for Gulf War. Too many hours working yada, yada.

Registered
Discussion Starter #49
There is no way my wife will get on a motorcycle. I told her it was in the garage, I'm not even sure she has looked at it, she won't even think about a solo vs two-up seat. Maybe a year or two under my belt she might go for a ride up and down the street but I don't ever see her wanting to go for a ride. I'll still buy her some Harley stuff, maybe sometime in the far distant future she may come around. I've got a Shelby Mustang and buy her a lot of Shelby clothing that she likes and wears when we go to car shows. We'll see if she goes to any Harley events..

Registered
There is no way my wife will get on a motorcycle. I told her it was in the garage, I'm not even sure she has looked at it, she won't even think about a solo vs two-up seat. Maybe a year or two under my belt she might go for a ride up and down the street but I don't ever see her wanting to go for a ride. I'll still buy her some Harley stuff, maybe sometime in the far distant future she may come around. I've got a Shelby Mustang and buy her a lot of Shelby clothing that she likes and wears when we go to car shows. We'll see if she goes to any Harley events..
Mike, I can relate, at least somewhat, to your situation. My wife doesn't like to ride. Goes back to her high school days, she rode a few times with someone that really scared her. And they went down once, no injuries except a few minor scrapes, but it put a bad taste in her mouth about riding. I didn't have a bike for over 30 years then, in 2009 at age 62 I bought a Harley. And for a couple of years I regularly attended a local Wednesday night bike night at a restaurant down on the river about 3-4 miles from our house. When I was going to a bike night she would ride with me--it wasn't far from home and she knew we would eat dinner there and she didn't have to cook that night so she would go with me. But for several years now I haven't attended any bike nights. Finally figured out which bike was meant for me and I'm happy as a clam so I'm just not interested in looking at other bikes and on Wednesday nights I would much rather head out into the adjacent semi-rural county and ride rather than stand around at a bike night. But that's it as far as her riding. OK, her choice. But her choice for herself isn't going to stop me from riding. Some things you just learn to live with.

Registered
I feel very lucky reading some of stories. Marie was hesitant at first afraid to go on freeway. Then it all changed. Out riding in valley, roads mostly empty, barely going 30 just chugging along . Slow down down some more, what? Ok, put her hands on my shoulders, Im standing up wheeeee !! She be a keeper.

Registered
After reading all this.
Some of you guys have it rough with your better 1/2.
I brought home a motorcycle back in 81 .
Didn鈥檛 talk or ask permission just bought.
She came out of the house and said let鈥檚 go for a ride .
She鈥檚 had 2 of her own.
As matter of fact she鈥檚 the one that bought our last one.
When we moved out here to AZ.
We were driving around looking for our New home like 3 or 4 days in a roll.
Then she tells me to pull over so we could get a drink.
Then she says have you been looking for a New Bike yet ?.
I said No not till we find a home 1st.
She get her phone out an starts calling HD shops in the state asking for a Hd Tri Glide.
No one had anything we wanted. So we went home and she searched the net an found a couple.
Long story but next day we we鈥檙e owners of a brand New HD.
So yes I feel lucky to have a wife, Friend that thinks like me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered

I Had the same problem with my wife did the 3 day HD schoo linstalled LED lights, crash bar bought the " Ride like a Pro video" from Jerry " Motorman" Palladino. Ride almost everyday with highly skilled riding friends and practice the slow riding man maneuvers in a church parking lot close to me that Jerry teaches orange cones and all. She now is a lot more comfortable with the whole deal. :)

Registered

that SOLO seat will tell your WIFE the true tale of your Heart :-(

Registered
Discussion Starter #55
that SOLO seat will tell your WIFE the true tale of your Heart :-(
I really don't think my wife notices the difference between a solo and 2 up seat at this point. I doubt she'll ever want to ride with me. She is just not an adventurous person when it comes to 2 wheels, although I do still have the 2 person seat that came with the bike, just in case I am wrong...

Registered
I may have told this before if so sorry. I rode bikes for 15 years while in the service (USAF). I had a 81 FLT and planned to tour the USA upon retirement from the service. The wife was working and we had three boys in school. Two weeks before retirement she looses her job and I end up selling the bike to cover all our bills. As soon as the bike is sold she gets her job back, I was had. She says we can get one when the kids are out of school. Thirty years later I spy a Suzuki Marauder 1600 for $2000 and bought it without asking, I am 69 now. It only has a 3.8 gas tank so after a month I get a Yamaha 1300 tour. Nice bike but it has a wine to the engine that drives me nuts, Bought a 2016 Heritage Classic and she says it is my last bike, maybe....

Registered
Discussion Starter #58
If the bike is the only thing you two fight over, you are probably to be considered lucky.

I don't miss married life.
I was single for 10 years prior to getting married to my second and last wife 2 years ago. You're right, I consider myself lucky as this is really the only thing that has us at odd's during our lengthy relationship. I bought all kinds of toys prior to marriage, didn't think this out out far enough in advance or I would have bought a bike sooner!

Registered
My son texted me with pictures yesterday. They scored a 2005 883 with 1000 miles on it from a private buyer. Vance and Hines mufflers and A/C. His wifes first motorcycle. Jealous sounds more bad ass than his Street Glide. Family that rides together two up or side by side is a good thing.(y)

Registered
I鈥檝e seen couples that one rides an the other doesn鈥檛 .
Here we鈥檙e both into it.
She helps me when I need help on either the Bike or the truck.
She鈥檚 1 in. Million cause there鈥檚 nothing she won鈥檛 try.
Hell she took our 40 ft motor home with our daughter an grandson on vacation back in the day for over a week .
Only thing that scares her is getting up on the roof lol.
I consider myself very lucky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 70 Posts