Harley Davidson Forums banner

161 - 180 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
First ride today!

I've been riding in my 150 ft driveway for a couple of months while I have been doing a bunch of mods to my bike. I just got my permit about 2 weeks ago. About 4pm today, after making a mantel for my living room fireplace I realized it was 60 degrees and since the rain finally let up I decided it was time to head out on my maiden voyage. I told my wife I was going for a ride up and down the road, she said in what and I told her on the bike. She paused for a second then said "be careful." I only went on my neighborhood access road which is about a mile long. I went up and down the road a bunch of times plus I rode in the empty park parking lot so I could practice turns and figure 8's. I had a blast. I hadn't checked my tire pressures recently but I could tell they were not too low, I did notice that the front tire seems to bounce a lot, I'll verify the tire pressure tomorrow and may head out again, depending on how cold it is. How cold is too cold to ride??

·
Registered
12,629 Posts
Daughter in law made some mods to her Sportster. New seat more cushy and narrow in front help her feet touch ground better. Apes, relocated mirrors and front turn signals, Fairing and crash bar. Exhaust and intake came with the bike.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Hope everyone is having a Happy and Healthy New Year. I've been riding a little here lately. I believe I will need to get an insulated cod piece for the days below 50 degrees!

I added some 11.5" progressive 444's I got for $180 and flipped my mirrors, couldn't see out of them unless I moved my arms. Now I am in the market for some new tires, any suggestions?

The wife has eased up a lot, I told her yesterday I was going for a quick ride, she told me I needed to before the bad weather comes in. No negative comments lately!

·
Registered
‘02 Softail Deuce
88 Posts
I’m sure there are lots of opinions on tires here.. probably tire threads as well. I’m a fan of shinko 777’s. Good tires, sticky, and won’t cost a fortune.

·
Registered
12,629 Posts
Do you want long life or performance ?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Do you want long life or performance ?
For tires I don't really care about long life, my current ones are 6 years old with 7,000 miles and look fine but I want to change them due to the age (lots of opinions on tires aging out.) I live within minutes of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I am looking for a good balance of performance for all the curvy roads where I live and comfort for my longer rides, which I don't anticipate being more than about 2 hours to do do the Tail of the Dragon.

·
Registered
12,629 Posts
For tires I don't really care about long life, my current ones are 6 years old with 7,000 miles and look fine but I want to change them due to the age (lots of opinions on tires aging out.) I live within minutes of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I am looking for a good balance of performance for all the curvy roads where I live and comfort for my longer rides, which I don't anticipate being more than about 2 hours to do do the Tail of the Dragon.
Michelin Commanders been working both ways for me

·
Retired citizen
24,100 Posts
I haven't been following to close but it's apparent your wifey didn't snip ya in your sleep for buying the bike !

Reactions: mikec35

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
I haven't been following to close but it's apparent your wifey didn't snip ya in your sleep for buying the bike !
Nope, fortunately not! She's lighted up a lot, although I can tell she's still pretty worried every time I say I am going riding. I'm even pressing my luck telling her I'll be trading up one day (probably just buying another and storing this one at my son's house...)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
I went to a motorcycle store and spent a lot of time trying on different helmets. I liked the way the Shoei RF1200 and RF1400 fit, then I tried on an Arai and it felt so much better, all in medium size. These helmets were all very pricey ($500+.) I've got a buddy that keeps telling me to get a Harley helmet or I'll continually get ribbed but I haven't found a Harley helmet that fit as good as the Shoei or Arai, plus I want something a little more visible than black. I was checking out Craigslist and found a brand new, never worn 7 year old Arai Defiant black and white helmet for $175. The guy bought it for his wife who never rode. I offered $150 and the seller took it. I really like the looks of black helmets but being an older rider I like the idea of white on the helmet for visibility. Like it or not, it's safe and it fits great! At least it has some black in it to match my bike and leather and I can ride it a while and make sure it is the right fit. I know I'd probably get crap forever but being color blind I find that I see the fluorescent yellow/green helmets from far away the best and may end up with that color eventually for safety.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
That was an interesting video - I think I'll pass on wearing a helmet in Walmart. I am interested to see if this dude wins any money. Being trespassed from Walmart could be a problem...

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,927 Posts
I've got a buddy that keeps telling me to get a Harley helmet or I'll continually get ribbed but I haven't found a Harley helmet that fit as good as the Shoei or Arai, plus I want something a little more visible than black.
Your buddy sounds like a poser. If you’re going to wear a helmet, wear the best that you can afford, AND that fits you the best. Shoei and Arai are both excellent helmets. Besides, Harley doesn’t make helmets. I believe HJC makes a lot of them, but they rebadge other manufacturers as well.

·
Asylum Inmate
12,087 Posts
Shoei, if you are gonna wear one, where the absolutely best IMACO.

·
Registered
40,764 Posts
Shoei, if you are gonna wear one, where the absolutely best IMACO.

I use the previous version to the helmet linked for my cold weather helmet, the RF1100. I use a J-Cruise in warmer weather on longer trips.

But as mentioned, Shoei and Arai are made for different shaped heads.

161 - 180 of 190 Posts