Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took the MFS course and got my license this past weekend. Tonight looks like the first night of ok weather to actually go on the road. Very nervous and excited at the same time. Slow and easy.
:banana

·
Ridin To Live
479 Posts
Just took the MFS course and got my license this past weekend. Tonight looks like the first night of ok weather to actually go on the road. Very nervous and excited at the same time. Slow and easy.
ALRIGHT!! CONGRATS!!:thumbsup Just do your best to remain calm. Be aware of your surroundings and always have a planned escape route if ever needed. My "personal" motto I have brain washed myself with is: Ride for 5. The person in front of you, behind you, to your right and left, and yourself. All will be OK. ENJOY YOURSELF!!:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I didn't want to get off the bike when taking the course, I hope the same goes from leaving the parking lot to the 'real world'.

·
Registered
422 Posts
You're gonna love it. Hopefully you've got some backroads to mess around on for a while first. If you get nervous when there's traffic around you can always pull over and regroup. Take it easy and have fun.

·
No Whining
139 Posts
I can tell you after years of not riding and just getting back into it - it is fantastic. Take your time and ride to your comfort level.

Enjoy the wind in your face and bugs in your teeth!!

·
Nuts about riding
581 Posts
I posted a thread on Tuesday that I just accomplished the same as you -- course last weekend (always had my license tho for 30 yrs.), picked-up my new RK on Monday (nervous and excited to head-out into traffic). Now 250 mi. later for me. Just take your time and approach each level of difficulty as you feel comfortable (easy side streets, eventually to rush-hour downtown city traffic). You'll be fine! Have fun! I know I am!

·
Mr. MojoRisen
1,241 Posts
Enjoy, it is not every day you lose your virginity. Take it slow and savior the moment. :thumbsup

·
Registered
126 Posts
Enjoy. Prudent advise is to not push yourself beyond your experience and comfort level and don't let anyone else push you either. As said previously, if you're being pushed, pull over. regroup.
Pick your roads carefully. Know them well in advance and the type of traffic you'll encounter on those roads at the time you're going out.
Have a great time, trust no one around you though. If they don't do something stupid, you'll be pleasantly surprised. Trusting they'll do the right thing can get you/us in trouble. It's not paranoid...just prudent.
We wish you many miles of smiles.

·
Registered
260 Posts
When you post something like 'first time riding" you should always post the city and state and all street you are going to ride so the rest of us can stay clear. J/K lol. Hope you have a safe ride all the time and enjoy you bike as much as I enjoy mine.

·
Registered
198 Posts
You'll be fine. Everybody starts where you are but be prepared to be scared for a month or so. Then as you gain confidence, you are hooked for life. Congrats on getting started.

·
Retired citizen
21,752 Posts
BABES !!! FRESHIES !!! NEW BORNES !!! CHERRIES !!! HeHeHe , HaHaHa !!! Been there , done that , had that same feeling ................ 45 YEARS AGO !
It is a sweet feeling so absorb it and embrace it while you can !

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL, a lot of posts made me laugh. I'm from Madison WI and unfortunately after warming the bike up for about 10 minutes and going a couple of times around my parking lot I shut it off and checked the oil, it was low. Below the low line even. I will use the search to find the best oil but when I do finally get all the pieces to the puzzle together I will make sure to post my experience....if I make it back.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Approaching other vehicles, oncoming, intersections or side roads,
try to make eye contact with the driver. IF you cannot, watch their front wheel for any sign of a left turn or pullout in front of you.
It is their left turn that is dangerous for you.

Be alert and enjoy. I have had over 45 years riding and still get excited about going for a ride.

·
Boooya!!!
2,767 Posts
EYES open watch everything dont assume anything. after that enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Happy to hear ya' took the MSF course. :thumbsup Man, I got a big grin readin' your post! Thanks for sharin' your excitement with us. 43 yrs since my 1st ride, but I still feel the same way every time I throw my leg over the seat. It never gets old!

You got some very good advice from everybody. If ya ride every day, by the end of the season you'll feel like a pro! One thing I'd suggest is find an empty parkin' lot and practice CONTROLLED :eek panic stops--in the rain too, so ya' know what to expect when it happens.

Ride safe and enjoy....Whack.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts