Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you put your bike on a battery tender every time you ride/park you bike at home? I have had three bikes and never had to put them on a tender. I ride 2 to 3 times so I never saw a need. I did have a scooter that I would have to keep on a tender.
Does keeping a tender on you battery extend its life?

·
Registered
11,045 Posts
My bike is on a tender now. Has been since I parked it at the tail end of October although twice I've been back riding for maybe 2 afternoons at a time then back to putting it on the jack, covering it up and plugging the tender back in.

In warm weather I ride at least some most days if it's not raining. When I get home from a ride and if I'm certain or pretty sure I will be riding again the next day I probably won't plug in the tender.

From lots of other posts on this subject over the last couple of years I'm convinced that it is probably tilting the odds in my favor to take the 5 or so seconds necessary to plug up the tender fairly regularly.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
If its gonna be parked for more then 2 weeks then yeh its on a tender. So right now its on. Once the weather brakes, the truck will be on a tender....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use battery tenders whenever I have a vehicle sit for more than a couple of weeks. Typically that's the bike and my jeep. I've gotten about 5 years so far out of a 6v battery in the Jeep that sits almost all the time. I'm convinced they extend battery life for a minimal investment.

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
If its going to sit a bit it goes on the charger. You don't really have strong climate changes in Orlando so it never really gets cold either. My rule of thumb, better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
249 Posts
EEERRRR!!! Love the answers, " Mine been on the charger since October ". " when the weather breaks, mine will be off the charger "
UUUGGGHHHH ! " I go out into the garage and just stare at the little green light" just wanting to unplug it, weather here -4 tonight with wind chill to -22 to -40.
If you are lucky enough to be able to ride a couple of days a week. It doesn't hurt either way. BUT if your like some of us, plug it in October and unplug it in march or April.
COME ON SPRING

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,466 Posts
Especially this time of year, mine is on the charger when I'm not out riding. It'll be below freezing again tonight then the rain comes back, so the bike won't be going anywhere for a while.

·
Registered
11,978 Posts
When home from days end of riding. Tender on 24/7.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
using the tender is a no brainer

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
I use a tender on both bikes, the truck and the Jeep. The bikes get put on even if it's just overnight. The Jeep doesn't get driven much, so it stays hooked up, the truck lives on the tender all summer, I learned that one the heard way.

The truck and the Jeep have a battery maintainer mounted under the hood with a cord through the grill, so easy hook up.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I believe it does extend the life of the battery if you use it all the time.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,466 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Yeah, maintaining a proper maintenance charge in a battery WILL make it last a lot longer. I got 15 years out of the house bank in my boat by using a "smart charger" that is essentially a big version of our Battery Tenders. But like others have said, if you are riding at least every week or so, might not make much difference. However if you are storing it for more than that, it will make a big difference in battery life.

·
Black Velvet Elvis
169 Posts
Been on both sides of this and find it works best for me nowadays to use the tender more than not. If the battery doesn't need tending I guess the light will remain green. Right now since my place is a frozen tundra with no end in sight I go to the heated garage and turn the boom box on real loud til the light goes red, then come back to the house and check my springtime countdown coo coo clock.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
When it's parked in the garage the tender is on.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
I turn my tender off when I have the dryer on that is vented into the garage. I figure that since the garage is then heated it is easier on the battery and all that lint is just insulation.

HeeHee - Sorry, I just had to throw that in.

·
*Senior Member*
138 Posts
A friend used his tender all the time on his 2005 Fatboy. The battery lasted eight years. He changed the battery only because he thought it was time. Didn't want to find out the hard way that the battery quit when away from home.

So I decided to take his suggestion and I use my tender all the time no matter how often I run the bike.

Bike in garage, tender on the battery.

Like others here, temps here lately are in the single digits to mid teens. Garage is the same. Got to be tough on those batteries. Hopefully the tender is doing what it is designed to do. Will find out in April if Mother Nature allows us to ride. LOL!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Tenders on both bikes all winter. Bikes get ridden a lot in the summer so no tender is needed unless they are going to sit for more than a couple weeks but that usually doesn't happen.

RV has one built in for the house system batteries and engine battery. Plugged in whenever it's parked.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts