Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my indy lean out my 99 WG (stock) carb last summer,it seemed to be running a little rich at the time. The plugs were showing some serious carbon deposit build-up. Now that seems to have been a good fix,but would that leaness cause me to have to run the choke a little stronger for longer? Could i make a slight adjustment to the carb to find the sweet spot or just deal with it...it's carbed?
Thx's

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,132 Posts
Check for intake leak

·
Registered
569 Posts
I've changed the mixture on mine a few times and never had a noticeable difference in the amount of time I use the choke. Air temperature changes make a lot more difference than any mixture adjustments I've made.

The important thing is to make sure you're not running it too lean. That will overheat your heads. If you are getting popping through the exhaust on deceleration or getting hesitation or backfiring on easy acceleration after the engine is up to it's normal temperature, you are dangerously lean. But there are other things that can cause that lean mixture besides the carb jets. Check for vacuum leaks between the carb and heads, especially the rubber fittings that tend to crack and leak.

·
Registered
39,568 Posts
There's an idle mixture screw on the bottom of your carb that handles the start up mixture.

It is different than the mixture adjustment when going down the highway which is handled by the needle.

·
Retired citizen
23,379 Posts
The pilot jet screw is on top of the carb behind the vacuum slide. Gotta pop the plug out to get at the screw. Dial it in or out to get the best idle.

·
Retired citizen
23,379 Posts
That brass colored screw in the bottom of the carb bowl is the bowl drain plug.
We are talking about a CV carb, right ?

·
Registered
39,568 Posts

·
Retired citizen
23,379 Posts
I'm thinking the :confused and :confused:confused is jets versus adjustment screws.
The pilot and main jets are in the bottom of the carb and aren't adjustable. The linkage idle screw and the pilot air screw are on the outside of the carb and are fine tuneable.

·
Retired citizen
23,379 Posts
Well, looking thru all the CV diagrams that I Googled and it seems that different year and models of CV carbs had the pilot screw located in different positions. Some were in the bottom and others in the top. They all have plugs that have to be removed for access to the screws.
Anyways, that pilot screw is the one that fine tunes the pilot jet for the idle.
I think the OP should have a #48 pilot jet and then fine tune the pilot screw so he doesn't have to run the enrichener so long.
Also the intake seals that misinlink said.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That idle mixture screw in question was adjusted in 1/2 turn by my indy mechanic which he said would lean it out a little more,but that's when i noticed i could'nt come off the choke as soon as before. If the idle mixture screw indeed just handle's the idle circuit then backing it out a1/4 turn might be a compromise to operate with awhile and keep checking plugs etc. I've heard that it is better to be a little on the rich running side than lean....anymore thought's?

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Leaning the pilot screw, only has any real effect at idle. If your plugs were read correctly, after a hard run, ignition chopped, clutch in, ignition off, then adjusting idle a little leaner isn't gonna help. And yes could cause you to have to run the enricher a while longer. Just how long are you having to run the enricher?

·
Registered
39,568 Posts
Leaning the pilot screw, only has any real effect at idle.
The way I read the OP's posts, he was trying to richen it up a bit at idle....

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes before my plugs were reading rather black/sooty,so we made a idle mixture adjustment...1/2 a turn in and then i discovered that the enriching circuit needed to be active longer. I have'nt done the run up test out on a quiet road and shut her down and pull plugs,that's next. That idle issue must be the nature of the "beast" with carb year bikes...maybe that's why Harley went with EFI, but that real Harley tone is lost in translation.
Get out the old turntable and throw on your favorite LP's and listen to the music how it was really recorded.
CD's are the EFI of the recording industry....there i said it! Sorry too long.

·
Registered
39,568 Posts
Yes before my plugs were reading rather black/sooty,so we made a idle mixture adjustment...1/2 a turn in and then i discovered that the enriching circuit needed to be active longer. I have'nt done the run up test out on a quiet road and shut her down and pull plugs,that's next. That idle issue must be the nature of the "beast" with carb year bikes...maybe that's why Harley went with EFI, but that real Harley tone is lost in translation.
Get out the old turntable and throw on your favorite LP's and listen to the music how it was really recorded.
CD's are the EFI of the recording industry....there i said it! Sorry too long.
Oh, ok. I misunderstood, bobf is right.

You need to set your idle mix back to where it was originally.
The idle mix has no effect on midrange and top end.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts