Harley Davidson Forums banner
41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Unsafe At Any Speed
128 Posts
Breakouts with ABS

Just a note here to say that if you have ABS on your Breakout, it may be impossible to install the 1.5" riser spacers due to the brake line. I'm not sure if HD has a replacement brake line that's 2" longer, but mine definitely won't work as it was delivered. It's because the line to the handlebars starts on the frame where the ABS is located, not at the brakes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Just a note here to say that if you have ABS on your Breakout, it may be impossible to install the 1.5" riser spacers due to the brake line. I'm not sure if HD has a replacement brake line that's 2" longer, but mine definitely won't work as it was delivered. It's because the line to the handlebars starts on the frame where the ABS is located, not at the brakes.
Really? Wow I just ordered the 1.5" riser spacers. I think i better ask Jimspacer asap......:think

·
Unsafe At Any Speed
128 Posts
Really? Wow I just ordered the 1.5" riser spacers. I think i better ask Jimspacer asap......:think
Here's a picture of mine showing how tight the brake line is - there's no slack at all when you turn left. I'm going to measure mine to see if there's a longer line available. I already have the spacers.

Attachments

·
Unsafe At Any Speed
128 Posts
Yes, the 1.5" spacers will fit the ABS Breakout...

OK, so not being one to waste $55 on a set of spacers, I decided to see if any mods would allow them to work on my ABS equipped Breakout... And the answer is yes, but it's a bit more work. The rear break line is a bit too short and the speedo cable is too. I got around the speedo cable problem by rerouting the cable outside the triple tree on the left. (See picture) There's a connector just inside the tank valley, but it's too tight to unclip easily, so I had to go from the speedo end. First, I taped the bars and top of the riser and marked it so I'd know what angle to set the bars when reinstalled (See picture). Then I removed the speedo and unscrewed the riser cap, set it on the tank (covered the tank with a thick padding). Then I removed the idiot lights and snaked the cable black out of the tree. (To make things easier, I reinstalled the riser cap so the risers wouldn't turn when I was removing the bolts.). Next I installed the spacers, removed the riser top, reinstalled the idiot lights, set the bars back & aligned them with the marks while I installed the cap. The speedo was last. BTW, I cut the tywraps on each side of the down tube , and will put new ones in place later. As for the rear brake line, I loosened the banjo connector just. Enough to rotate it from facing backwards to facing downwards. This gave it maybe an inch or so more, because after installing the spacers, it was really tight with the bars full left.

Attachments

·
Unsafe At Any Speed
128 Posts
ABS Breakout add'l photo

Hmmm, here's the picture of the bars marked for reinstallation.

Attachments

·
Registered
802 Posts
That bike should fit you like a glove.

If you still have issues consider a saddle with a narrow nose, or higher heel boots to get your feet cloer to the ground.

Do not lower the bike!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the 1.5 inch riser and ABS on my bike. The break line will lose it's slack when turned all the way left. Will not hinder turining in any way.

·
Unsafe At Any Speed
128 Posts
Do you think the one inch spacers would fit without changing anything?
Jim, if you're asking me, the best bet is to reroute the speedo cable no matter what size you use. Harley has it come from the left of the tree, then go to the middle. Turning all the way right with anything but stock puts a strain on the cable that rerouting it relieves. The brake cable is the opposite - all the way to the left takes all slack out an puts a strain on it. Pivoting the banjo connector 90 degrees adds just enough slack to do the 1.5" spacers on the ABS bikes.

·
Unsafe At Any Speed
128 Posts
I have the 1.5 inch riser and ABS on my bike. The break line will lose it's slack when turned all the way left. Will not hinder turining in any way.
Your best move is to turn the banjo connection to give the line some slack and extend it's life. Likewise the speedo cable will be very tight when full right. Rerouting it will extend its life since harnesses don't like being tensioned like that.

A word to the wise is sufficient.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jim, if you're asking me, the best bet is to reroute the speedo cable no matter what size you use. Harley has it come from the left of the tree, then go to the middle. Turning all the way right with anything but stock puts a strain on the cable that rerouting it relieves. The brake cable is the opposite - all the way to the left takes all slack out an puts a strain on it. Pivoting the banjo connector 90 degrees adds just enough slack to do the 1.5" spacers on the ABS bikes.
Thank you for the info I'll put it on my website.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
So I finally got my Reduced reach Solo seat last week and it certainly made a big difference for me. Didnt need to install the handlebar spacers now and kept the "low" dragster look. The seat is harder as compared to the standard and also narrower in front. Happy with the seat.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Sorry forgotten to add that the reduced reach seat pushes you forward a little which is much more comfy for my legs and foot now where i feel i have better control and confidence while riding now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So I finally got my Reduced reach Solo seat last week and it certainly made a big difference for me. Didnt need to install the handlebar spacers now and kept the "low" dragster look. The seat is harder as compared to the standard and also narrower in front. Happy with the seat.....
Ive been wondering about this seat
Any pics?
Would like to see a side by side comparison with stock seat
Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Ive been wondering about this seat
Any pics?
Would like to see a side by side comparison with stock seat
Thanks
Bingo, they looks very similar. I dont have a pic yet but you wont be abe to tell the difference even if u see it.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
My wife is 5'1" and she has the CVO breakout and loves it. Instead of getting the reduced reach seat (didn't have it when I bought the bike) just went to the local shop that does Bike seats and had it carved to narrow it a bit and also lower it a bit and added some padding to the back to move her forward. $120.00 out the door. Also added the SAS suspension so that when she needs to be flat footed in maneuvering into a parking spot she just drops it down otherwise she rides it at full height.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
My wife is 5'1" and she has the CVO breakout and loves it. Instead of getting the reduced reach seat (didn't have it when I bought the bike) just went to the local shop that does Bike seats and had it carved to narrow it a bit and also lower it a bit and added some padding to the back to move her forward. $120.00 out the door. Also added the SAS suspension so that when she needs to be flat footed in maneuvering into a parking spot she just drops it down otherwise she rides it at full height.
She has no problem reaching the footcontrol?? how much paddign was added to move her forward?

41 - 60 of 88 Posts