Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41,674 Posts
Best year for twin cams. Timken crank bearings, and first year they did away with cam position sensor. Hard to find replacement cam position sensor anymore if they go bad.

Reactions: WildHogz

·
Registered
2019 Fat Boy
99 Posts
Congrats, nice looking bike. Hope you use it more than the last owner. Far too many garage queens out there, but great low mileage for a used bike buyer 👍

·
Super Moderator
4,796 Posts
Fastest route to being 30 again! Great looking bike, welcome from Virginia.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Best year for twin cams. Timken crank bearings, and first year they did away with cam position sensor. Hard to find replacement cam position sensor anymore if they go bad.
My only real concern is the cam chain tensioner. From what I've read some are fine but others will grenade the motor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats, nice looking bike. Hope you use it more than the last owner. Far too many garage queens out there, but great low mileage for a used bike buyer 👍
I can pretty well guarantee I'll use it more. They had it listed at a good price so when I went in I told them to make me an offer I can't refuse - and they did. Having ridden Japanese clones for years I can honestly say there is a difference. Fit and finish is insane. I know it's a cliché but it really is a premium product.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did the same thing as you last year but I was turning 40. I bought my 2011 Fatboy from the original owner with 7900 miles. I'll need to take a updated picture as this one is dated . I love every minute of riding it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
I love me a fatboy for sure. Can't beat the terminators bike. Love the blacked out version

·
Registered
41,674 Posts
My only real concern is the cam chain tensioner. From what I've read some are fine but others will grenade the motor.
Do the hydraulic cam chain tensioner upgrade.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Welcome from Idaho. I did exactly the same as you! Just turned 50 last month and a few months before that I bought a '02 Deuce with 6700 miles! Not my first HD but still pretty crazy how similar our story is.. Anyway ride safe

·
Registered
41,674 Posts
$500 ish. + labor.

Comes with a SE oil pump as well.

This is what I put in my 05 103" NightTrain.

Reactions: WildHogz

·
Registered
41,674 Posts
Check to make sure the upgrade hasnt already been done in the last ~20 years.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do the hydraulic cam chain tensioner upgrade.

That's the one I was looking at. Out of stock at the moment but need to check and see if the previous owner had this done

·
Registered
40 Posts
I did the same thing as you last year but I was turning 40. I bought my 2011 Fatboy from the original owner with 7900 miles. I'll need to take a updated picture as this one is dated . I love every minute of riding it.

Thanks. It was the bike I always wanted.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts