Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 02 heritage. Been riding victory for past 13 yrs and did all maintenance myself so I knew that bike inside and out. I am getting ready for a 4 day roadtrip on the Heritage. Anyone got a list and size of tools for the bike or can you recommend a pre-built set for Harley's? I am away on business and take off the day I fly back.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Viet Nam 69/70
2,288 Posts
For the most part not a lot to fix along road. But there may be stuff to tweak or tighten.

I carry a 1/4" set of sockets, set of various bits, adjustable wrench, small vise grips, small pocket allen set, spark plug wrench, plugs, an tubeless tire plugs.

·
weird member
1,792 Posts
I carry a Leatherman multitool thing, as well as just whatever I need to take the seat off, as well as a long, thin screwdriver. Also, I keep a wire brush, two small adjustable wrenches, some rags, a tire gauge, a few zip ties and a bag of quarters for the air machine if the tires lose any air.

Otherwise, if there's something big... well O'Reilly and Autozone loan some specialty tools.

Prevention is the big thing though. If everything's maintained right, shouldn't be any issues unless it's something big like a clutch going out, and then, it'd be pretty hard to bring everything needed for anything that could go wrong on that level.

But the longest trip I have been on so far is 3 days, so I don't have a lot of experience with that. Next month, I am going to be on a trip for 3-4 weeks and a couple thousand miles though. Luckily, 3 of those weeks is with my brother that also has bikes and tools.

Good luck with yours.

·
Super Moderator
4,058 Posts
Spare bulbs if I have my bags on. Not much light at the rear of the BreakOut so one bulb out can make a dangerous situation. Tire gauge too. I feel like my tires are low, far more than they actually are. I always need the peace of mind before hitting the twisties.

·
Super Moderator
12,528 Posts
Needlenose Vise grips. Perhaps the greatest tool ever invented.

·
Registered
10,874 Posts
Tools and sockets should be a combination of metric and standard HD is mix of both. Need Torx sizes for handlebar controls housings, derby cover for example. Small LED flashlight and spare batteries, toothbrush size wire brush, length of electrical wire, .030 safety wire, Loctite blue, quart of oil, set plugs and last but not least DUCT Tape. Ride Safe.

·
Super Moderator
4,058 Posts
I know most phones have a flash light mode, but I love a good head lamp to help out with a quick fix if riding at night.

·
Viet Nam 69/70
2,288 Posts
That's tough guy stuff. Good for reaching up nose to see who can pull out the most nose hairs.:grin

·
weird member
1,792 Posts
I have a pair of them. Great for pinching gas lines closed so you don't have to drain a tank (just don't pinch too tight). I also made a "female plug" with a 4 inch piece of 1/4" id gas line and a 5/16" bolt screwed in one side and two wormscrew clamps (one around the bolt end, the other loose to fit around a fitting).

Don't think I have ever used the needle nose vice grips for their intended purpose though.

·
Registered
363 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
cruz tool makes a pretty good set but way over priced just look them up and copy
depending on where your riding tire plug set and some kind or air to fill with electric tape and tie wire I also carry a set of jumper cables the plug to the battery tender cable so I can jump bike to bike only need them once

·
Registered
363 Posts

·
Registered
10,874 Posts

For $40 I agree it's good for the price but it has two sets of alen wrenches. US and Metric. Are those fuses right?
You won't need everything in the tool kit but buy new fuses that match your cycle and leave the extra tools in your garage.
My fuse block has unused fuse slots, keep them in there.

·
American
25,828 Posts
I'm so glad this thread was posted already. You guys are so informative. Thank you:smile
Can't take credit..... it was posted on here two/three years ago by someone else.... I bought one then.... came in handy last fall when my Battery took a dump.... on the road. But your right this forum is very informative.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts