Harley Davidson Forums banner

Tools for twin cam?

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  SCHMIDTY 
#1 ·
I want to purchase some tools to work on my 2010 twin cam. I have been looking at places like George's garage, Heartland products and MBS manufacturing ( Heartland buys from them).
I am looking for things like primary locking bar/wedge
Inner cam bearing remover/installer
cam gear locking tool.
Among other stuff down the road.

questions

1) Are these good quality?

2) The inner cam bearing remover/installer kits come in multiple configurations, many are for 88,96,103,110 etc.. like kit HTPC96-C29 + HPTCAA-A29.
What bearing is for the 96" and up and what inner bearing is for 88" I want to find a kit that doesn't include 88" stuff to reduce cost.
This kit includes pullers for both B148 bearings and B168 bearings. What bearing is 96" and above?

3) Are primary bar wedges like I used on my sportster better than wedge style primary locks? Do wedge style locks cause too much stress/stress on the primary chain?

4) How long is the required primary locking bar that is required for my 2010 96" twin cam. I see many sellers list by length and not application.

Harley Davidson Tools & Bearings

Harley Davidson Tools & Bearings - Page 1 - Mbs Manufacturing

https://www.georges-garage.com/**

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
Me too

#5 ·
"4) How long is the required primary locking bar that is required for my 2010 96" twin cam. I see many sellers list by length and not application."

Length varies. Softails have a long primary case, touring has shorter primary case.

#6 ·
I use old files for locking bars. Measure at an angle between the front sprocket teeth and the clutch hub teeth then cut the file to length.
96"> hydraulic tensioner cam uses the large inner bearings, 88" spring tensioner cam uses the small inner bearings.
Check 'Jim's Tools' website, good tools and reference material.

Reactions: tommytailspin
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.