Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again all. So I had a leaky base gasket that turned to both leaking and my trip got cancelled so I decided to go ahead and drop the sporty off at the shop and have everything done at once as was suggested. Its getting punched just enough to get everything straight and going to 10-1 comp and having the heads cleaned up and beehive springs installed along with 551 cams. (really wanted to do it myself but my apts already put up with enough of my redneckery without tearing down engines in the parking lot) I should have her back this week and was wondering if anyone had break in tips they care to share.

Ricky the shop owner who I trust suggested this to really wake the bike up and keep it reliable. I never thought to ask what kind of power to expect from it. Any ideas on that? Im like a kid waiting for christmas to get it back. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Most important is the first minutes of running time. Giving the rings a chance to seat and not micro wielding them and the pistons. With lots of air blowing over motor run 30 sec. Shut off let cool to room temp. Run for 1 min. let cool again. Add 30 sec. to each cycle till you run for 6 min. Remember lots of air on motor!!!! Best way to seat the rings that I have heard of.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive read a lot on break in and the only thing that every post/article seem to have in common is dont rev the crap out of it for a while and dont lug it. Just run the revs up and down from 1K-3K ish. Does this seem right?

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Ive read a lot on break in and the only thing that every post/article seem to have in common is dont rev the crap out of it for a while and dont lug it. Just run the revs up and down from 1K-3K ish. Does this seem right?
Yes, that's the very easiest and arguably the best break-in. I might add, change the oil after the first 100 miles or few hours of running.

·
Registered
42,545 Posts
BREAK-IN PROCEDURE

1. Make a test run at 30 miles per hour and accelerate at full throttle to 50 miles per hour. Repeat the acceleration cycle from 30 to 50 miles per hour at least ten times. No further break-in is necessary. If traffic conditions will not permit this procedure, accelerate the engine rapidly several times through the intermediate gears during the check run. The object is to apply a load to the engine for short periods of time and in rapid succession soon after engine warm up. This action thrusts the piston rings against the cylinder wall with increased pressure and results in accelerated ring seating.

Following that,
Drive vehicle normally but avoid sustained high speed during the first 100 miles.
At no time should the engine be lugged. Lugging is said to exist when the engine does not respond when you twist the throttle.

Taken from Hastings piston ring website
Untitled Document

Reactions: Colt.45
1 - 6 of 6 Posts