Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tuned a breakout using the screaming eagle street interface and on the dyno the bike will only pull to 114 mph. which it reaches at 5700 rpm's in 4th gear.

I did a couple searches and can not find any threads on this which I find surprising.

any one have any insight if this is normal and if it can be disabled

thanks

·
Registered
38,106 Posts
Why are you dynoing in 4th gear? :loco

And there is no "speed limiter" on Harleys.

There is a rev limiter. It helps to keep people from blowing up their motors.

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
You should get proper knowledge of the machine your supposedly dyno tuning. Good way too cost yourself a ton of money.

Now go to FNG section and introduce yourself.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol, I promise it would not pull past 114 in any gear

and please enlighten me why a 4th gear pull is wtf and crazy and stupid??

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
These guys don't know what they are talking about amigo. Especially that Schmidty character. Hell I think he's a retired dentist. Here's what you do:

We are talking about a breakout right? Remove the seat, then remove the gas tank. Next loosen the bolts on the rear fender (DO NOT REMOVE THE FENDER!). Pull your headlight then you will find the top speed limiter button somewhere between the headlight & rear fender.

Geez fellas, can't believe you were not more helpful! :devil

Good luck amigo!

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
Pull your headlight then you will find the top speed limiter button somewhere between the headlight & rear fender.
!
Its located behind the BCM Module, Thought every one knew that. :eek-surprise

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
How fast were you expecting the bike to be?

BTW, it probably would never make the same speed on the road that it does on the dyno. With no air to move through, you're just spinning a wheel.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
From a Cycle World article comparing bikes. I would think they would know what they were doing so I'd assume 6th gear.
Hey Doc, does the article say if the speed limiter was on or off?

·
Frozen Member
2,318 Posts
Why are you dynoing in 4th gear? :loco

And there is no "speed limiter" on Harleys.

There is a rev limiter. It helps to keep people from blowing up their motors.
When I had some dyno runs done on my bike last year the tech always took it to 4th, and in the videos I've seen thats the gear they use too. I thought it was the standard, no?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When I had some dyno runs done on my bike last year the tech always took it to 4th, and in the videos I've seen thats the gear they use too. I thought it was the standard, no?

apparently they are all as stupid as me and didn't know the golden rule to not run a Harley in fourth gear on the dyno

I find fourth gear gives the most consistent runs and slows it down enough that you can see what's going on with the fueling

·
Registered
38,106 Posts
Supposed to run in the gear that gives 1:1 ratio in the transmission to minimize losses.

But you probably ran it on a Mustang dyno, so meh. :dunno

1 - 20 of 104 Posts