Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How fast have you gotten your sporty up too? Me 120 and I had to get off I start getting head shake. I think its because of the 21inch front tire.
2000 1200c

·
Registered
93 Posts
I did 120+ a smidgen, started head shake on mine too and its a stock wheel size. Had plenty left though, just couldnt use it..

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'd be interested to hear how fast I should expect to be able to go on an 883. I'm a new-ish rider and really have a tough time going past 75. At this point, It don't know if it's 'cuz I'm chicken or what. To me, the bike seems like it gets hard to control much past 65.

What do we think? Inexperience? Chicken?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'd be interested to hear how fast I should expect to be able to go on an 883. I'm a new-ish rider and really have a tough time going past 75. At this point, It don't know if it's 'cuz I'm chicken or what. To me, the bike seems like it gets hard to control much past 65.

What do we think? Inexperience? Chicken?
chicken:rofl: im just playin, thats a small bike its understandable, never exceed your comfort level when it comes to speed. Or try going to your local drag strip and see what it can do, its an extremly fun time

·
Registered
16 Posts
chicken:rofl: im just playin, thats a small bike its understandable, never exceed your comfort level when it comes to speed. Or try going to your local drag strip and see what it can do, its an extremly fun time

It would be interesting for me to try a bike with more power. This is the only bike I've ever driven--so, I have nothing to compare it with.

And yer right, I'm prolly chicken (but gosh, do we need to laugh SO hard!?!?!? ;) )

·
Registered
212 Posts
It would be interesting for me to try a bike with more power. This is the only bike I've ever driven--so, I have nothing to compare it with.

And yer right, I'm prolly chicken (but gosh, do we need to laugh SO hard!?!?!? ;) )
My guess is the 883 probably stock would be hard pressed to run 100mph. Wind speed and direction, road surface, tire pressure and tune and pipes would all play a factor on this. But if the bike feels uncomfortable then don't push it. Maybe Amy will chime in because I think the two of you own the same kind and size of bike. The sportster can be a fun little bike but not the easiest or the best bike for a 1st bike IMHO. They are top heavy and don't have the best control. Again that is my own thought. However since you have one enjoy it and make the best of it. It still beats riding in a cage by a long shot. :)

·
Registered
679 Posts
My guess is the 883 probably stock would be hard pressed to run 100mph. Wind speed and direction, road surface, tire pressure and tune and pipes would all play a factor on this. But if the bike feels uncomfortable then don't push it. Maybe Amy will chime in because I think the two of you own the same kind and size of bike. The sportster can be a fun little bike but not the easiest or the best bike for a 1st bike IMHO. They are top heavy and don't have the best control. Again that is my own thought. However since you have one enjoy it and make the best of it. It still beats riding in a cage by a long shot. :)

Chime!! Chime!! I have only gotten my sporty up to 85-90...however that is because I feel that the bike doesn't want to perform much higher than that. Vibrations get heavy, its kind of loud....and I feel like I'm making it go faster than it's made to go. Now, let's fast forward to the times I've been on Rob's VROD. When I'm on his bike... I want to MAKE it push it's limits all the time!!! That bike is made to handle the higher speeds much better, (ahem, Porsche!). Anyway, there have been many times after I get off Rob's bike that I say to him "Don't you always want to just take this thing to its limits?? I always want to go fast!" And he smiles with a huge grin and laughs at me and nods his head Really big :D The Sporty has been a great first bike for me. Yes, it's kind of top heavy, but I have enjoyed the mid controls, and how small the bike is, and it's been really comfortable for me. When I go for my next bike- I am pretty sure it will be a VROD! Not for the speed ability (well kinda :) ) but also because it's really the only other bike that I've sat on and felt comfortable. Barbie, if you get a chance, I really encourage you test-ride one. I prefer the A model, but that's my opinion. When I do get one, I'll want to lower the shocks in the back to lower the rear, and lower my front forks, so it sits lower to the ground. I'll also need the reduced reach pegs. Being all of 5'3"..my legs streetttchhh to reach Rob's pegs, but I make it work darn it!!!! With the VROD being that low, is makes you feel like you are one with the bike. It feels so stable, and so comfortable to me! That's just my opinion, but most of the dealerships don't push the VRODS much...so I would love you to hear about them somewhere!!!

I love my Sporty, I'm attached to her, she's my first bike, and I can't imagine ever NOT having it. I know I will move to another bike, but the thought of trading the Sporty in for something else really does make me sad. I won't know how much the new owner is, or is not, caring for my bike!! I have no idea how I will ever be able to afford the Sporty, and the VROD...but one can dream!!! Of course, I have a saying running through my head as I typed that last sentence...and that thought is "Go after your dreams. If you don't, someone else will"....ok...maybe I'll start a donation box :)

Anyway, Barbie- you aren't the only one who keep their Sporty on the "DL"...and I also need to mention, that mine is an '06(and if I remember correctly, yours is a '96)...and I still don't feel comfortable over much of 80-85...again, this is all my opinion...by I did want you to know there is someone else out there, who is right there with ya!!!! And you are by NO means chicken!!! I guarantee, that if you get on a bike...(again, maybe the VROD)...with more power, you wouldn't think twice about taking it to higher speeds, because it's more geared for that!! I promise, I've looked down at Rob's bike before, and I'm going 60..and say..are you serious?? I need to slow down!!! (and if I see a cop, I tell them I know Max, and hope they wave me on by...as that's normally his luck :rofl: )

And no matter how fast or slow anyone is riding, always ride safe :ride

·
Registered
93 Posts
Chime!! Chime!! I have only gotten my sporty up to 85-90...however that is because I feel that the bike doesn't want to perform much higher than that. Vibrations get heavy, its kind of loud....and I feel like I'm making it go faster than it's made to go. Now, let's fast forward to the times I've been on Rob's VROD. When I'm on his bike... I want to MAKE it push it's limits all the time!!! That bike is made to handle the higher speeds much better, (ahem, Porsche!). Anyway, there have been many times after I get off Rob's bike that I say to him "Don't you always want to just take this thing to its limits?? I always want to go fast!" And he smiles with a huge grin and laughs at me and nods his head Really big :D The Sporty has been a great first bike for me. Yes, it's kind of top heavy, but I have enjoyed the mid controls, and how small the bike is, and it's been really comfortable for me. When I go for my next bike- I am pretty sure it will be a VROD! Not for the speed ability (well kinda :) ) but also because it's really the only other bike that I've sat on and felt comfortable. Barbie, if you get a chance, I really encourage you test-ride one. I prefer the A model, but that's my opinion. When I do get one, I'll want to lower the shocks in the back to lower the rear, and lower my front forks, so it sits lower to the ground. I'll also need the reduced reach pegs. Being all of 5'3"..my legs streetttchhh to reach Rob's pegs, but I make it work darn it!!!! With the VROD being that low, is makes you feel like you are one with the bike. It feels so stable, and so comfortable to me! That's just my opinion, but most of the dealerships don't push the VRODS much...so I would love you to hear about them somewhere!!!

I love my Sporty, I'm attached to her, she's my first bike, and I can't imagine ever NOT having it. I know I will move to another bike, but the thought of trading the Sporty in for something else really does make me sad. I won't know how much the new owner is, or is not, caring for my bike!! I have no idea how I will ever be able to afford the Sporty, and the VROD...but one can dream!!! Of course, I have a saying running through my head as I typed that last sentence...and that thought is "Go after your dreams. If you don't, someone else will"....ok...maybe I'll start a donation box :)

Anyway, Barbie- you aren't the only one who keep their Sporty on the "DL"...and I also need to mention, that mine is an '06(and if I remember correctly, yours is a '96)...and I still don't feel comfortable over much of 80-85...again, this is all my opinion...by I did want you to know there is someone else out there, who is right there with ya!!!! And you are by NO means chicken!!! I guarantee, that if you get on a bike...(again, maybe the VROD)...with more power, you wouldn't think twice about taking it to higher speeds, because it's more geared for that!! I promise, I've looked down at Rob's bike before, and I'm going 60..and say..are you serious?? I need to slow down!!! (and if I see a cop, I tell them I know Max, and hope they wave me on by...as that's normally his luck :rofl: )

And no matter how fast or slow anyone is riding, always ride safe :ride
your '06 sporty is also bigger than her '96. Hers is much narrower and shorter, and also a rigid mount motor. Hers is not going to run as strong as yours due to better cams and such in yours. Hers is also going to vibrate at speeds a whole lot more than yours, the handlebars prolly make her hands numb at those speeds.
After seeing what you wrote, I would say hers is prolly pretty close to max at the 80-85 mph range.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,757 Posts
Top speed? Why?

My view on trying to top out a Harley brings up a conversation I have had many times over the years, usually when deflecting insults from some crotch rocket hero about how great his bike is, and what a thrill it is to spend all his time riding at over twice the highest speeds I reach on a ride. I say that's really too bad that he has to ride that way. I say that going close to the limit must be an inevitable part of owning a motorcycle that has no more personality than a can opener at real world speeds. Appliances, that's what the majority of the buzz-bomb Jap bikes are in my mind, very competent and sophisticated appliances, to be sure, but without much mechanical personality appeal.

I don't think I've heard anybody use the expression this century, but seems like I used to hear that first gear was like sex, it's always over way too fast. To me Harleys can feel fast, in a relative way, maybe the feeling is more like strong, or potent, but they don't need to be wrapping the speedo needle (or the tach) to do it. You all should understand me when I say that all alone, on a curvy country road, even if I could go wide freakin' open, on a Harley I can also go tractor slow in a thumper gear, 35 or 40 mph and enjoy it immensely. I'm a one man parade, and I don't need any spectators. In fact, at that pace, and at those low frequencies the rumble of the bike is making, I think I can feel that the ground knows I'm passing by, and the rocks and trees, all the big old parts of the world that you cannot be in tune with if you're moving fast.

IMHO,
If you feel compelled to reach and exceed the limit every time you go riding,
if you can't really enjoy riding w/o being WFO,
then maybe you bought the wrong bike.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I agree with Its about the ride
I dont haul butt everywhere I go. Usually on the Houston freeways, I average 70-80 mph, only 'cause its the bikes sweet spot and it will hum at that rpm (3.5k) all day. I enjoy my scoot and its not all being done at teary eyed speed, but it is fun to put it on a metric rider every once in a while, crap, mostly I end up goofing off with loud mouthed big twin owners as they utter some brainless "girls bike hehehe" trash . Then they let their mouths overload their bikes ability and end up losing a smidgen of money and pride to a 04 sporty with a tude. fun stuff yap

·
Registered
679 Posts
your '06 sporty is also bigger than her '96. Hers is much narrower and shorter, and also a rigid mount motor. Hers is not going to run as strong as yours due to better cams and such in yours. Hers is also going to vibrate at speeds a whole lot more than yours, the handlebars prolly make her hands numb at those speeds.
After seeing what you wrote, I would say hers is prolly pretty close to max at the 80-85 mph range.

Turbo, I'm not sure if you read my post right. I was agreeing with her, saying I totally understand where she's coming from...mine is quite a bit newer AND I don't even feel comfortable over 80-85...Sporty's just aren't meant for that... everything that she experiences with her 96..iI still experience with my 2006.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Turbo, I'm not sure if you read my post right. I was agreeing with her, saying I totally understand where she's coming from...mine is quite a bit newer AND I don't even feel comfortable over 80-85...Sporty's just aren't meant for that... everything that she experiences with her 96..iI still experience with my 2006.
I understood exactly, what I'm saying is if you are experiencing it, then you can imagine she is experiencing vibes at a more intense level.:eek:

·
Registered
679 Posts
I understood exactly, what I'm saying is if you are experiencing it, then you can imagine she is experiencing vibes at a more intense level.:eek:
Gotcha:D
Is it as pretty in Friendswood today, as it is here?!?!? It's GORGEOUS!!! Maybe 74-ish outside, not a cloud in the sky...small breeze:ride

·
Registered
16 Posts
HMMM....their are space aliens in this forum. I posted a reply and it is nowhere to be found...weird.

My comment was that Nathang and I need to ride together. I have the same feeling about speed....what's your rush?! I'm perfectly happy riding at about 45 - 50 mph.....

Let's see...I also said that once i lowered my bike and put new handle bars on it, it handled completely differently. It already had forward controls...I like the size and weight of the bike. I'm a little bit afraid of a heavier bike--BUT all my friends tell me that you don't notice the extra weight because of the lower center of gravity.

I have a 65ish year old woman friend who rides a VRod...I think to myself--if she can ride one of those, so can I!

And yes..it's GORGEOUS outside. I gotta get my butt out and RIDE!! :dance

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,757 Posts
Barbie-
Next time you are at the dealership, compare the V-Rods and the Sportsters on the showrooom floor, stand each up and walk it forward and back a little, just to feel the weight. Skip the Street Rod, it's too tall to be a fair comparison. I think you'll be surprised that the Sportster feels heavier than the V-Rod. I had my wife try this test without telling her the difference, and she was sure the Sportster was much heavier.

However, I'd also suggest you try the same comparison with all of the Dyna models, a LowRider or a SuperGlide or a StreetBob or a Softtail. If the Sportster tickles your fancy with it's torque and low rpm, slow paced thumper engine delivery charateristic, I really don't expect the V-Rod's relatively high-revving personality, it's high power at high rpm is quite your style. Amy, you too, you've been indoctrinated into the V-Rod circle, but if you really love the Sportster, and ever have the urge to move up to something a bit more challenging, more, but more of the same flavor, and you want more difference than you'd get with a 1200 Sportster, I think it will be a DynaGlide that you find satisfying, rather that a V-Rod.

The LowRider feels heavier that the V-Rod, but it is the V-Rod that has thrown me on the ground several times when I let it get off balance, never the LowRider, so go figure. I'm 5"10 and over 200 lbs, and the V-Rod has out-wrestled me several times. The LowRider would be hell to try to catch, if it tried to fall, but it seems to stay balanced better.

If we ever get a change to ride together, either of you can try my LowRider. If you like the torque and the pulse of your 883cc, you will love the grunt and heartthrob that 1550cc gives you, at the same rpms and in the same gears and with the same proportional balance..

·
Registered
679 Posts
If we ever get a change to ride together, either of you can try my LowRider. If you like the torque and the pulse of your 883cc, you will love the grunt and heartthrob that 1550cc gives you, at the same rpms and in the same gears and with the same proportional balance..

Nathan,
Thank you for that reply, and offer!!! You had some wonderful points, and most important, you have to find the bike that YOU are comfortable with!!! And a bike which you are comfortable with its performance as well.

Barbie-
Please take some time when you can, and check out this site. It was posted in the V-Rod Forum, a while back- and it teaches you how to pick up a bike if you happen to drop it.

I don't ride solo often, most of the time Rob is on his bike, and I'm on mine...but if I were ever alone and dropped the bike, I wouldn't have begun to know how to handle it's weight to pick it up, until I read what this site has to say.

I believe you have to scroll down about 1/4 the way down the page, and it tells you step by step---it's just something I found interesting!!!

http://www.pinkribbonrides.com/dropped.html

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've read this before. I have only dropped my bike one time (so far). And...I picked it up the "old fashioned" way....I took off my helmet--they saw I was "a girl" and about 3 guys stopped within about 2 minutes and picked up the bike for me. Pretty pathetic, eh??? LOL!

I'm not sure if I could pick it up myself or not. Left to my own devices, I'd have to at least try!!!

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,757 Posts
I don't think anyone, male or female, should feel like a wimp for getting help righting their bike. Messing up your back would be MUCH more damaging to your riding enjoyment than a bit of pavement rash on the bike, and for a VERY LONG time.

I have a mate at work who dropped his Ultra Classic that weighs over 800 lbs. If a couple of BIG dudes hadn't been there to help him, he'd have had to call a wrecker.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts