Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Stage 1 upgrades done to my 2007 NRS consisting of TAB slash-cut slip-on exhaust, a K&N hi-flo air filter and a Cobra Fi2000R Fuel Manager (plug & play). QUESTION: With a Stage 1 upgrade done, would it worthwhile to consider doing the topless modification as well????? I know with the Stage 2 upgrade that it's recommended that the topless mod be done. Thanks fer yer input!

·
Registered
42,085 Posts
You don't want to see Roy topless..... that's scary! :eek

·
Administrator
13,238 Posts
If I remember correctly from my V-Rod days, topless is just removing the air filter cover (not really much of a "mod"). It sounded funny to me so I put mine back on. Ran a Gil's box and SE pipes with a K&N Filter.

Geez, how did I get pulled into that Kainem?

Reactions: jpassh2o

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think if you got any gains it would be so minimal that you wouldn't even notice it. At least I didn't. The only thing I noticed was the annoying intake noise.

·
American
28,658 Posts
Another very misleading title.... :wink

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
It will give a few more ponies 3-5 hp increase along with more intake noise
I'd like to see proof of that. That's a significant gain on a 74 HP engine for a simple mod, considering the OEM air intake volume, VS the intake air abilities the engine already has. The true restriction is the filter element, not the ability of air to get to it.

If you want more air in a stock air cleaner housing, remove it, drill holes in the back, (3/4" holes. A step-bit works well) and this allows more air flow, keeps rain and water out and maintains the original cover.

·
"Ain't quite right"™
2008 VRSCDX 2019 FXDR
11,273 Posts
I think if you got any gains it would be so minimal that you wouldn't even notice it. At least I didn't. The only thing I noticed was the annoying intake noise.
Beautiful intake music, to me.

The gains are pretty much negated by not adjusting your A:F ratio to match the cooler air going in...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a 2012 NRS, I went topless with a K&N Filter, Tab Performance turned out pipes, and a Power Commander V. I had it dynoed at Lee's Cycle in San Diego. They gave me the dyno printout that showed 117 hp at 9k RPMs. Hope that helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts