Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys finishing up my primary fluid swap today that service manual says 82-100 lbs-ft for the 5 torx 27's. I set my socket to 90. After a few seconds I couldn't make myself put anymore on it. Just felt like way too much for fasteners that small. I set the wrench to 80 and same thing. So I just twisted em' to where I felt comfortable.

Yes the wrench is working correctly.. has this happened to anyone?

Pete

·
Retired citizen
22,294 Posts
When torquing fasteners the threads on the fastener and in the threaded hole need to be cleaned , wire brush the fastener threads and chase the hole threads . Harley applies a type of locktight / sealer to many of the bolts and screws on their bikes especially on the engine , trans and primaries . If any of that locktight / sealer remains on the threads when reinstalling the fastener proper torque can't be achieved and if using the book torque spec over-torqueing will occur possibly stripping or breaking the fastener .
Those derby cover screws only need to be tight enough to seal the cover , wrist tight !

·
Poser Member # 99
17,234 Posts
I Agree with Schmidty and dont forget new locktite on the bolts it holds every thing together. Cleaning the threads is a must and I also use some Acetone paint thinner to clean things out threads too . I use a acid brush . paint brush or small round brushes to clean holes out with the Acetone :thumbsup

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,071 Posts
100 inch pounds is 8 foot pounds
remember to move the torque wrench quick and steady or you will over torque the fastener
Actually, it's 96 in lb = 8 ft lb, but 100 is close enough.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When torquing fasteners the threads on the fastener and in the threaded hole need to be cleaned , wire brush the fastener threads and chase the hole threads . Harley applies a type of locktight / sealer to many of the bolts and screws on their bikes especially on the engine , trans and primaries . If any of that locktight / sealer remains on the threads when reinstalling the fastener proper torque can't be achieved and if using the book torque spec over-torqueing will occur possibly stripping or breaking the fastener .
Those derby cover screws only need to be tight enough to seal the cover , wrist tight !
Thank you so much, I would hate to have to extract one or fix the internal threads!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Sheesh! This post is from 2011, I gotta learn to look at the dates BEFORE responding! 9 years later...:oops:

·
Retired citizen
22,294 Posts
Don't feel bad 1/2 Ton, I get caught like that from time to time too !
I give the guy credit for joining our forum then actually doing a SEARCH to find the answer to his question then posting a thank you back.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Sheesh! This post is from 2011, I gotta learn to look at the dates BEFORE responding! 9 years later...:oops:

I've done that too . . . just the other day I saw a post about Ronald Reagan just being elected! I wonder if he will go two terms!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just remember, the owner who originally posted this may not care anymore, but hundreds of other people doing a search DO care. How to do this oil change isn't something likely to become obsolete anytime soon. Thanks for all the help!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts