Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I rode back when I was 18 (11 years ago), 250cc japanese sportbike. Retired it after a couple of years when I joined the army. Now I'm a civvie working to get through school, and bought a 2009 Sportster Custom 1200 from a friend's dad. I guess my tastes grew up.

I don't ride much because work demands I dress a certain way, and I'm not much of a mechanic, though I am willing to learn and am slowly getting that knowledge together. That's the biggest reason I joined this forum: I want to be able to work on my bike, and at 29 years old with no mechanical experience, it's turning into a huge (and expensive) endeavor

It's hard for me to find the time to enjoy my bike like I wish I could. I've also got only a few years of casual riding under my belt and still make rookie mistakes. I've dropped this bike twice in a year, and am pretty much waiting until I know what I'm doing and won't drop it again before I replace the scratched to crap mufflers and heat shield.

I'm more classically minded. The whole Rob Halford getup isn't really my shtick (love that guy though).

Not sure where else to go from here. My life is an open trash can, and I'm open for questions.

·
Learning Member
466 Posts
Well welcome Joe McD - I usually don't do the welcome wagon thang but, you put yourself out there and I don't see a rush of welcomes for you. So, colour me soft tonight . . .

= RESPECT!

You will find a lot of great people and a lot of perspective on this forum you might not have anticipated - in addition to great information! The knowledge and experience within the membership (oh-oh, I said 'member') is truly amazing!

Good luck,
Rick.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Welcome from Oregon

·
Old Scooter Tramp
1,367 Posts
Welcome from SW Oklahoma! Ya did find the right place. These guys are OK! Unlike a lot of them other places. Don't worry about a few scratches, it's just character, battle scars. Wear them proudly, ya might of dropped her a time or two but ya rolled her over and hopped back on and rode her. Hey, in my book, you are alright, your no quitter. Now that bit of experience you have under your belt. Just enjoy.........

·
Super Moderator
4,347 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Great intro. I am always quick to recommend the Motorcycle Saftey Course for people starting out, and old people that can use a reminder. I don't think any of us in here can find enough time to ride as much as we want so you are in good company.

As far as wrenching, I have learned very much for many of these guys since I signed up.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Virginia. Plenty of good folks and good information here.

I understand your comment about how expensive it can be to get everything that you need to perform your own maintenance. If you have the physical space such as an enclosed garage, plus the desire to learn more about your bike, and the aptitude to understand technical instructions, then doing your own maintenance can be quite rewarding. Yes, the capital outlay to acquire all of the tools can be daunting, but a few at a time is the only pace that you need to set for yourself. First thing you need to purchase is the HD Service Manual for your model & year. Plenty of good information included there for the major components of your bike.

Taking a rider's course can go a long way to increasing confidence while riding. As has been stated, everyone drops there bike at some point and it becomes a learning moment of what not to do or what to do different in the future.

Don't beat yourself up about it. Keep trying and practicing but if you still have concerns, then take a course sponsored by HD or the MSF. You will not regret it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys. I actually do have a HD service manual for my bike. Right now I'm dealing with a problem (posted it in the forums) getting the bike to start after changing the grips. (Many say it's a short from a pinched wire, but I can't find it).

I'd like to take a rider's safety course. Hopefully I get some time to do that in the near future.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Howdy from NY. As repeatedly mentioned already this forum ROCKS!!! Plenty of great mechanical minds here always willing to help out us "dummies" when we need it. This is by far the best, most friendly and informative forum ive tried for HD riders. Chill out for a bit n get to know us!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts