Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is steve and my wife is Karen. We got our first Harley last year it was a 2018 street bob. Loved the bike. Unfortunately this April 23rd I was riding alone when a teenage girl decided to turn across my lane it was so last minute I had no time to react. Unfortunately from what I was told and the pictures I have I hit the passenger side of her car and went flying over the top of her car and landed about 5 to 10 yards fractures m the vehicle landing on the highway. I was not wearing a helmet I got a fractured skull with bleeding to the brain broken wrist fractured ankle fractured shoulders and facial fractures my vision is messed up along with many cuts and bruises and road rash. I do not t remember the accident or 1st week in the hospital. I want to get another bike but now my wife is afraid I might not be able to ride. I think I can. I need some advice what to do. Will we get over this and ride again. I got ptsd from the accident and can’t go back to the scene of the accident or even go close to there. I spent 32 days in the hospital. Not the way I want to introduce myself here. But hi my name is steve
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

Tire Wheel Motorcycle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Automotive side marker light

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Plant Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Motorcycle
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Automotive side marker light

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
44,704 Posts
Ouch, that was a hard hit, but bikes can be replaced. You can not.

It sounds like you have some time to find the right bike to come your way, and you'll know when it does.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd never tell anyone to stop riding because of an accident. I should have stopped after my second one but have had 2 more because I refuse to stop, so go with your heart
I want to go with my heart but I want the wife with me as well.
I too have been down this road. When you get all healed take a motorcycle ride then decide. You will know in your heart if its right.
I was thinking about that and I hope to do it soon but I’m still not able too

·
weird member
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC)
3,967 Posts
Many of us have been in accidents, some nastier than others, and we're still riding.

Make sure if/when you get a new bike, after you're healed, that you ease into it. PTSD may or may not go away or lighten up over time. CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) can help with that. Make sure your vision is good/corrected and there's no lingering physical problems first—physical therapy helps a lot, don't put it off if you need it and don't be afraid to ask for it, the sooner you do it (if you need or could benefit from it), the better.

If you decide to keep riding, hopefully your wife will be understanding.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Many of us have been in accidents, some nastier than others, and we're still riding.

Make sure if/when you get a new bike, after you're healed, that you ease into it. PTSD may or may not go away or lighten up over time. CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) can help with that. Make sure your vision is good/corrected and there's no lingering physical problems first—physical therapy helps a lot, don't put it off if you need it and don't be afraid to ask for it, the sooner you do it (if you need it could benefit from it), the better.

If you decide to keep riding, hopefully your wife will be understanding.
Thanks so much for the reply and you make a lot of sense. I hope the wife does come around but I understand her concerns

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First off, so glad you're around to write about this.
I'm with the others about going with your heart.
I hope the girl had insurance...for you and the bike.
thnk you I’m aupprised and thankful I’m still here I had no clue what happened till I woke up in the hospital. The insurance thing is always a battle

·
V-Twin Junkie
1,356 Posts
I applaud your heart here, but it is important to consider factors that might make riding dangerous, for you, for your wife, and for others. When you say that your vision is messed up, how does that affect you?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I too was in a wreck, some broken bones, my Bell Pit Boss saved my melon (not preaching). After I healed and we got the bike rebuilt (3 months) My wife was super concerned about getting back on. We took several short "lunch rides" and she seemed ok and I sure was. Then the first road trip and damn if we didn't almost get creamed by a pickup at a blind intersection on the Diamondback in NC. We parked it for the rest of the day discussed it, had a few drinks and moved on. We're still riding but it was close to selling it. She admitted the other day (3 years since the accident) she is still nervous which takes some of the joy out of it for her and me. Long story, you won't know until you actually test the waters unless she just flat won't get back on and then you gotta decide if riding alone with her worrying is worth it.
Super glad you made it through to tell us this, Welcome from GA and the best of luck with your recovery and decisions!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I too was in a wreck, some broken bones, my Bell Pit Boss saved my melon (not preaching). After I healed and we got the bike rebuilt (3 months) My wife was super concerned about getting back on. We took several short "lunch rides" and she seemed ok and I sure was. Then the first road trip and damn if we didn't almost get creamed by a pickup at a blind intersection on the Diamondback in NC. We parked it for the rest of the day discussed it, had a few drinks and moved on. We're still riding but it was close to selling it. She admitted the other day (3 years since the accident) she is still nervous which takes some of the joy out of it for her and me. Long story, you won't know until you actually test the waters unless she just flat won't get back on and then you gotta decide if riding alone with her worrying is worth it.
Super glad you made it through to tell us this, Welcome from GA and the best of luck with your recovery and decisions!
Wow thanks for telling me your story. Glad you made it through as well. It’s tough for me cause I know in my heart I can ride again I think if I rode just to work and back a few times she might get back on and do lil trips at first. She’s aggrandize that I won’t be comfortable or enjoy the ride because I’ll be over cautious and always looking. So I’m in a tight spot. We love riding we live in Pennsylvania and I’m just a nice ride a lil over an hour from the flight 93 memorial. We love that ride and get to stop at our favorite restaurant on that ride. I just don’t want us both to stop something we both love

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I applaud your heart here, but it is important to consider factors that might make riding dangerous, for you, for your wife, and for others. When you say that your vision is messed up, how does that affect you?
Well I have no problem seeing one eye at a time but when I try both at same time it’s different. It’s like looking through binoculars and trying to get clear focus It’s just not right and I know it. I’m gonna be starting eye therapy here soon so I hope that helps they tell me this should pass in time. I hope so.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
As I mentioned in above post, I've had 4 wrecks, not ta mentioned numerous dirt bike spills. 4 in 40 plus years make me wonder if I'm due? If I am, then I'll just have to find out the hard way. My wife had never been on a bike when we met and wasn't crazy about them. I had a friend that was getting a divorce and had to sell his 1200 sporty, so I bought it and gave it to her. She had a trike kit put on and has never looked back.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As I mentioned in above post, I've had 4 wrecks, not ta mentioned numerous dirt bike spills. 4 in 40 plus years make me wonder if I'm due? If I am, then I'll just have to find out the hard way. My wife had never been on a bike when we met and wasn't crazy about them. I had a friend that was getting a divorce and had to sell his 1200 sporty, so I bought it and gave it to her. She had a trike kit put on and has never looked back.
That’s great. I told my wife if we get another bike I would look at trikes. So we will see. I hope to get a chance to ride again before summer ends living in Pennsylvania doesn’t help. Lol.

·
American
31,912 Posts
Keep us posted on your decision. It really is up to you. No right or wrong answer.

Reactions: Wooden Rat
1 - 20 of 33 Posts