Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding and everything went dead, no lights, no flashers, no ignition.

Battery has power. Will a failed voltage regulator do this? Fuses all good. Other thought is ignition switch.

Got help and a tow on the way.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
that sucks man. hope they get to you soon.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Riding and everything went dead, no lights, no flashers, no ignition.

Battery has power. Will a failed voltage regulator do this? Fuses all good. Other thought is ignition switch.

Got help and a tow on the way.
Main circuit breaker tripped/bad . Ignition switch can also do that .

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2006 rk custom, carborated. Has a main fuze its good. Batts at 11 volts and I'm only getting 2 volts to the switch. Tow it home and tackle it. Should have a new battery tomorrow.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
switch sounds suspect

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
If the battery only has 11 volts, don`t bother trying to troubleshoot yet, because that battery is stone dead.

While you wait for the new battery, clean all the battery cable connections, at the battery, the ground, the starter solenoid,and the starter motor.

Once you have a good battery installed, perform a charging system test.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all, found the problem.

Hate to say this, when I cleaned up the connection from the starter I missed getting the power out wire back on and the rubber boot was all that was keeping it connected until today.

Sometimes I wonder. Happy its a free fix though.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
That sounds like what I did once on my old Honda, it had 2 plugs per cyclinder, i replaced them when I repkaced the battery and oil change after I got it, and got side tracked by cleaning chrome.. and forgot to plug up the 2 left side plugs, and I fired it up and rode a few mile to test it.. rode like crap, stopped for lunch and saw the plug wires hanging

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No!!! No jap crap for me.

Brother has a R6 sitting in my garage and a couple of people I ride with have other stuff I can ride if I want to. I like my Harleys like no other. Get to wrench on them all. Had a few people stop and ask if I needed anything though. A friends girl was riding with me when it happened, she got her car and came back for her daughter. When the daughter got home she texted if I wanted her to bring back a cooler of cold beer for me. I declined but thought she might make some man very happy some day.

A stop just before the adventure...

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts