Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm new to the HD forum. I'm in the process of buying my very first Harley Davidson. I'm having a tough choice between a used 2008 HD VROD 105th Anniversary edition with about 5,000 miles on it ($8000) and a used 2009 HD VROD VRSCDX Night Rod Special with about 1,000 miles on it ($9,000)? Both have clean/clear titles. I need everyone's help/opinion on which bike I should buy as both bikes are awesome. Thank you so much.

Dave

·
"Ain't quite right"™
11,224 Posts
The only difference is cosmetic, the anniversary has limited edition tins, which you can swap out with the DX tins if you can get your hands on some. Both have blacked out engines and frames, that year DX has the headlight cowl, which you can acquire and install on the 105th. Probably easier (and cheaper) to get a set of DX tins vs 105th, but you'll be adding the cost of the cowl, if you want it.

I find it curious as to why someone would sell a bike right at break in service time (1k miles) as you really can't have much fun with it until you've done your 1k service.

5k seems, to me, a more common 'not really what I'm into' kind of mileage to sell. 5k is nothing on these bikes, I'm around 50k on mine, rode very hard, in TX heat..with no major repairs...

If it were me, I'd go 105th, spend the extra grand on some DX tins and cowl to swap out (easy to do), and a mid ranged exhaust (like the CFR....)...then you wouldn't even be able to tell the difference between the two whenever you want to swap out...(except for the seat)

Either way, check the oil for flakes, and the rubber (hoses and tires) for cracks...

Edit: forgot the wheels and pulley, swingarm, and a few chrome pieces are different, again use the 1000 bucks to buy some blacked out wheels, probably can get the stock DX wheels pretty cheap...swingarm, I'd paint it...

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I'd make really sure neither bike has been wrecked, before choosing. Which bike is most like the way you see modifying it to be yours? There is basically no difference between the two except trim. If both are as good a shape as they should be, then pick the one you will need to do the least amount of work to, to make it yours.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for the detailed feedback. I really appreciate it. Being a limited edition (105th) makes the 2008 bike more appealing. LOL! But you do have a very valid point. Thanks! Have a great day! Wish me luck! :)

·
Registered
823 Posts
As far as resale goes, a 105 anniversary doesn't make the bike more valuable. The badging looks nice, but thats about it. I have buddy that bought a 2003 100th anniversary Vrod in a crate. it really isn't worth any more today than any other bike of that type

1 - 7 of 7 Posts