Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I hope my logic was right. I decided to get an Ultra Classic and get the kit to detach the Tour Pack. I really do not need the tour pack when riding around town or going to work. I just figured it would be cheaper in the long run to get the Ultra and then dress it down when needed.

Any way does anyone have experience with using a tour pack quick disconnect kit on their bike?

I could use all information you can give me as well as pointers from those who have already installed a quick disconnect for their tour pack.

Thanks for the help

M Coffey

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
I use my pac more than my saddle bags, way easier. so I kinda passed on the detachable deal. Only thing I could suggest is to get locks for it so it cant be ripped too easy.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Congratulations on your decision! Baggers rock.

I love the look of a clean rear end. The only time I use the trunk is when I'm on vacation. That quick-detach kit is probably one of my favorite mods... been a long time but I think the initial install was pretty straightforward too (for me it was VERY simple - I let my friend do it!). The trunk is rock-solid when mounted, and it only takes a couple seconds to connect or disconnect it (and I'm not at all patient when it comes to that stuff).

The only thing that may complicate your setup is the rear speakers.

My next "project", when I get home, is to install a pair of hooks in my garage wall to hang it from.

·
Registered
473 Posts
That was my logic for getting the Ultra, dressed down for town and tourpack for trips. But I have found out that having that thing is friggin handy as hell. I am still on the fence on it.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
That was my logic for getting the Ultra, dressed down for town and tourpack for trips. But I have found out that having that thing is friggin handy as hell. I am still on the fence on it.
LOL almost as useful as a pickup truck

·
The Black Knight
98 Posts
Quick disconnect is the way to go. I put one on my '09 Electra Glide Standard, 6 bolts is all there is to it. The only concern is what someone mentioned above, fear of somebody walking off with your tour pack. Honestly though, it took me all of 15 minutes to install the rack kit and secure the box to it. The whole things goes on and comes off in seconds.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought a tour pac for my Road King and installed the quick disconnect kit. I only use the trunk on long trips and love it. I also installed a disconnect lock just to be on the safe side.
To think about it, it only takes one screw to remove a $1200 Corbin, two clips to remove a $2000 tour pac and two clips to remove a $500 windshield. Like they say, only park it where you can see it.
Zeroroadkill

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
People will take the whole bike long before they start stealing tour-paks.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
I have a tour pack for the back of mine. It's on a quick disconnect. I know for a fact it'll fit 2 Monster 24oz cans, a Sunday paper, 2 donuts, 2 breakfast sandwiches, gloves, spare knit hat, flashlight, bungie cord, and a set of keys............

I use it like a damn purse........

·
Registered
24 Posts
Congratulations...

I have my 1st Ultra after having Electra-Glide Classics, Standards and Road Kings. My original plan was to use the quick connects, but then I remembered my Classic tour pack being kicked and scooter around as my daughter surprised me by cleaning out my side. So it had a few chips when I sold it, they never noticed it.
I like it and it is staying, but it still is the smart thing to do. You can sporty up an ultra cheaper then dressing up a Street Glide!
The Dealership took ~ 3.5 hours on the 08 I was looking at purchasing before I saw the 2009 model I purchased. That was docking hardware and splicing wires and it looked clean, then you need the sporty seat and a low windshield.
Be sure to post photos.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I finished it all. On the ultra let me give you a couple of warnings.
1) You will need to change the seat, the stock seat sucks with the tourpack off. Sticks out like a lazy boy in a church pew.
2) The dealer will not (well w/out more money) address all of the electrical wires IE CB, Radio, speakers & lights. To really do this professionally you should add quick disconnects to ALL of the electrical somewhere under the seat. It isn't real hard but it does take time & money. Look at http://www.deutschconnector.com/ if you do it yourself I would recommend using these connectors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tour Pack Removal

Hello,

I Have A 2003 Anniversary Ultra Classic Electra Glide. I Am Also Wanting To Make It A Solo Rider And Want To Add The Quick Release Connectors. This Is My First Harley And Need Direction. I Read "vanlente" Message And It Looks Like He Knows What To Do.

Do I Get The Conversion Kit From The Dealer Or Quick Dis-connectors And Do The Wiring Myself?

Is There A Manual On How To Do This?

Can You Recommend A Leather Solo Seat?

As You Can See I'm In The Blind On Making The Conversion But Like Everyone Else I Want To Save Money.

I Believe Vanlente Lives In Elk Grove And I Live In Roseville.

Thanks...i Hope To Hear From Someone.

Rob

·
Registered
27 Posts
UC Cpnversion

Hey Rob, give me a call if you would like, we can meet and see what I've done. You do need the two kits from the dealer and I have a good person that will do the wiring if you want it done OR you can do most of it yourself. You don't HAVE to rewire if you don't mind the extra time needed to take it off.

Brian
916 296-1399

·
Registered
27 Posts
Quick Release

I have a complete document with pictures if someone can help me post this correctly. In the meantime if anyone wants a softcopy email me at:
[email protected]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Quick disconnect is the way to go. I put one on my '09 Electra Glide Standard, 6 bolts is all there is to it. The only concern is what someone mentioned above, fear of somebody walking off with your tour pack. Honestly though, it took me all of 15 minutes to install the rack kit and secure the box to it. The whole things goes on and comes off in seconds.
Try these.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524441988919&FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302291027&ASSORTMENT<>ast_id=2534374302291027&bmUID=1233103445251&bmLocale=en_US

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2012 street glide and the check engine light just came on after changing the stock mufflers with vance and hines slip-on's. I let the bike run and the light stayed on.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts